Working as a driver in the personalised transport industry

In Queensland's personalised transport industry, a driver will generally either be self-employed (this may be as an independent contractor) or an employee.

It is important to know what your working status is because self-employed people and employees have different entitlements and responsibilities.

It can be difficult to know whether you are self-employed or an employee. Even if a driver is called a 'contractor', they may actually be an employee, depending on the situation.

The summary below is based on conventional industry practice. Your working status may differ depending on individual circumstances. If you're not sure whether you're self-employed or an employee, you should seek assistance from industry organisations, an independent ombudsman or government agencies, or obtain legal advice.

Types of workers

There are different types of working arrangements in place across the personalised transport industry.

Ride-booking driver

Ride-booking drivers generally enter into a written agreement with the provider of a ride-booking mobile application to access a digital technology platform.

Ride-booking drivers are self-employed (generally an independent contractor).

Taxi driver

Taxi drivers generally enter into written or verbal agreements to do work for 1 or more taxi operators.

Taxi drivers are generally self-employed. In very limited circumstances, drivers may work as employees.

Limousine driver

Limousine drivers generally enter into written or verbal agreements to do work for 1 or more limousine operators.

Limousine drivers are generally self-employed. In limited circumstances, drivers may work as employees.

Self-employed drivers

Self-employed people run their own business. Drivers who are self-employed generally set their own hours of work and don't have a minimum wage or pay rate.

If you're self-employed, you are running a business and should:

  • obtain an Australian Business Number (ABN)
  • register for goods and services tax (GST)
  • pay tax
  • pay superannuation
  • ensure you have appropriate insurance for the type of driving that you do.

Before starting work as a personalised transport driver, you should complete a budget to ensure you understand your likely outgoing costs.

Read more about common obligations for self-employed drivers.


Small business hotline: 1300 654 687

General enquiries: 13 QGOV (13 74 68)