Requirements for entitlement holders

When to submit readings

Entitlement holders for unsupplemented water will be required to provide up to 2 readings within a water year to the Department of Natural Resources, Mines and Energy (DNRME) for each water meter. These readings will be required after the eighth month and at the end of each water year.

DNRME will notify entitlement holders when their meter readings are due.

Failure to provide a reading

Meter readings provide vital data to DNRME to ensure water security for all water users.

If the required meter reading is not submitted within the specified timeframe, the department will assume the entitlement holder has used their full entitlement for the water year.

In areas where the trading of unsupplemented water is available, this means entitlement holders will not be able to trade any unused water entitlement for the remainder of the water year.

It also means DNRME may not be able to grant applications under existing water sharing rules including seasonal water assignments, carry over and forward draw in areas where these rules apply.

For water entitlement holders who fail to provide readings, DNRME may pursue compliance action if appropriate. This will be determined on a case-by-case basis consistent with DNRME's approach to compliance.

Why metering is important

Meter readings provide vital data to DNRME to ensure water security for all water users by providing accurate measurement of water use.

We use data from meter readings to assess applications under existing water sharing rules.

Benefits of entitlement holders reading their meters

Self-read of meters is a common sense approach to metering unsupplemented water resources, enabling entitlement holders to self-manage their water use and ensuring water security for all water users.

It allows entitlement holders to monitor their water usage patterns and check that their meter and irrigation systems are working correctly.

It also reduces costs for entitlement holders because DNRME no longer conducts meter readings on their property.

Also consider...


General enquiries 13 QGOV (13 74 68)