Water meter validation

What's new?

22 July 2024: All meters must meet the standard and be validated (certified) by someone with the right qualifications. It is your responsibility as the water entitlement holder to ensure you have a current meter validation certificate.

Before, these qualified people were called an 'authorised meter validator' and now they are known as a 'certified meter installer and validator'.

All meters must meet the requirements of the Interim water meter standard for non-urban metering (PDF, 5.2MB).

The interim metering standard includes several modules, which you can access below along with the associated forms.

Meter validation (certification)

To meet the measurement requirements in the Water Regulation, the meter must be validated by a certified meter installer and validator. The validator will inspect the meter and if it meets requirements, issue a validation certificate. You can access the validation forms below.

Certified meter installers and validators are either certified by Irrigation Australia or appointed by the Department of Regional Development, Manufacturing and Water.

Visit Irrigation Australia Ltd (IAL) for a list of certified meter installers and validators, or contact your local pump and irrigation service company.

Once your meter has been validated (certified), your certified meter installer and validator must give you a copy of the validation certificate and send a copy to the Department of Regional Development, Manufacturing and Water within 10 business days of it being issued.

Contact your local business centre for more information.

Certified meter installers and validators cannot validate a meter where they are also the holder of the metered entitlement or own the works.

A link to the relevant application form for each module is included below.

Under development

Revalidation of water meters

Water meters must be revalidated and recertified every five years to ensure they continue to meet the standards. You will be informed when your meter requires revalidation.

Note: You do not need to revalidate your meter if you no longer take water under your metered entitlement.

If you think this applies to you, you must notify us by contacting your local business centre or by phoning 13 QGOV (13 74 68).