Plastic bag ban in Queensland
From 1 July 2018, retailers are no longer allowed to supply shoppers with single-use lightweight plastic shopping bags under 35 microns, either free or for a charge.
This ban includes compostable, degradable and biodegradable plastic shopping bags.
Compliance and reporting
The ban applies to all retail businesses for in-store and online sales. A fine of up to 50 penalty units per offence may apply for:
- not complying with the legislation
- providing misleading information about plastic shopping bags.
The Queensland Government, with the National Retail Association (NRA), continues to work with retailers and bag suppliers to ensure they comply with the plastic bag ban.
Contact the NRA to report bag suppliers who may have provided false information about a banned plastic shopping bag.
Visit the QLD Bag Ban website or contact the NRA's retail hotline on 1800 RETAIL (1800 738 245).
About the plastic bag ban
- Last reviewed: 24 Jul 2018
- Last updated: 24 Jul 2018
I want to...
- Payroll tax: Grouping provisions 26/03/2019
- Payroll tax: Introduction to payroll tax in Queensland 17/04/2019