Grants and funding for tourism businesses
On 1 April 2020, the Australian Government announced an increase in funding for the Export Market Development Grants (EMDG) scheme. Allowing exporters and tourism businesses to get additional reimbursements for costs incurred in marketing their products and services around the world.
The tourism industry is supported by a range of assistance programs. These programs focus on developing the capability and capacity of businesses to grow, become resilient, and achieve the 2020 expenditure growth target.
Take our Grow your tourism quiz to help narrow your search for resources, programs and services available for your business.
Queensland government grants
Premier's Outback Events Program offers funding for local businesses, event/festival promoters and community organisations to run events which increase visitor numbers and enhance the profile of Outback Queensland.
Small Business Digital Grants program provides matching funding of up to $10,000 (excluding GST) to eligible businesses to enhance the digital capabilities of their business, help them to be more competitive and employ more staff.Mentoring for Growth program assists business owners to overcome challenges by providing access to a panel of expert business mentors.
Ignite Ideas Fund supports start-ups and small to medium Queensland businesses to commercialise market ready innovative ideas that will help them grow and compete in a global market and create new jobs.
Business Development Fund provides co-investment of between $125,000 and $2.5 million to support commercialisation of cutting-edge research or innovative ideas.
Jobs and Regional Growth Fund provides financial assistance of $100,000 to over $10 million for private sector projects that create employment and economic growth opportunities in regional Queensland.
Back to Work program provides employer support payments up to $20,000 to employ job seekers.
Queensland Destination Events program administered by Tourism and Events Queensland provides funding for regional events of between $10,000 and $100,000.
Workforce Planning Connect provides a range of online resources to assist businesses to analyse their future workforce requirements, identify strategies to fill workforce gaps and develop and implement a workforce plan.
Skilling Queenslanders for Work provide funds, training and support for unemployed and underemployed people through a range of programs, including Get Set for Work and First Start. These programs provide employment and training assistance to school leavers to transition to the workforce, and incentives to employers to employ a young person in a traineeship or apprenticeship.
Tourism industry grants
QTIC Grants Gateway - Queensland Tourism Industry Council
Information on relevant funding programs and grants for the tourism industry. Free for QTIC members. Non-members can purchase an annual subscription to access the Gateway.
The Grants Guide - Tourism & Events Queensland
Tourism & Events Queensland have developed this useful guide on how to become 'grant ready' with information and advice on accessing and applying for grants.
Other business funding sources
- Learn what government funding and business support is available to help you apply for grants, and use government services to help your business thrive.
- Read more about funding your business, planning your funding requirements, understanding types of finance available and choosing the best funding option.
- Learn about funding for innovation, including how to develop your business plan and identify available funding options.
- Search for Queensland Government grants and assistance programs for your business.
- Learn about the Export Market Development Grants (EMDG) and other assistance offered by the Australian Trade and Investment Commission.
- Search the Australian Government's grants and assistance programs tool to help find funding and assistance.
- Find out what support is available for Aboriginal people and Torres Strait Islander people to access the skills, knowledge and resources required to start and grow viable and sustainable businesses.