How to object to a liquor licence or adult entertainment permit application

Anyone in the local area, with a proper interest, and who is (or is likely to be) affected if the application is granted, can object to a liquor licence or adult entertainment permit application.

Police and local governments can also comment on liquor licence or adult entertainment permit applications.

Eligibility to object

To lodge an objection, you must:

  • be over 18 years of age
  • live in the area of the venue or be directly affected by the granting of the licence or permit
  • have valid grounds for the objection.

Grounds for objection

Your grounds for objection will only be valid under the Liquor Act 1992 if granting the licence or permit may:

  • cause harm from alcohol abuse and misuse, or alcohol-associated violence
  • negatively affect the health or safety of the public, or the environment around the local premises
  • cause undue offence (not applicable to adult entertainment permits), annoy, disturb or inconvenience people who
    • live or work in the area
    • travel to or from a place of worship, hospital or school
    • are in, or travel to or from, a place where children participate in cultural or recreational activities (adult entertainment permit applications only).

How to lodge an objection

You must lodge your objection:

  • in writing
  • on or before the closing date on the advertisement
  • with the OLGR regional office noted in the advertisement.

A copy of your objection will be sent to the applicant.

View applications currently advertised for public comment and the closing dates for objections.

Objecting by petition

You can submit your objection as an individual or by a group petition. A petition must include:

  • an identical heading on each page that is legible to signatories and clearly states the subject matter—use this petition template as a guide
  • information about each signatory's connection with the area (e.g. their home or work address)
  • the petition sponsor's name (i.e. the name of the contact person who will liaise between the Commissioner and the signatories) on each sheet.


General enquiries 13 QGOV (13 74 68)

  • Licence and permit enquiries

1300 072 322

  • Gaming compliance enquiries

  • Liquor compliance enquiries

  • Media enquiries (07) 3738 8555