Trawl exceptions and reinstating fishing days
Apply for an exception
If you are operating as a commercial trawler under a T1, T2 or M1 symbol, your effort units are deducted based on information received from your vessel tracking unit. A trawl exception allows you to carry out certain activities without effort units being deducted from your quota.
To apply for an exception:
- log in to FishNet Secure
- phone the vessel tracking hotline on (07) 3211 9111 (available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week)
- phoning the vessel tracking team on 13 25 23 (during business hours).
To be eligible for an exception, you must meet the relevant conditions found in the Fisheries (Commercial Fisheries) Regulation 2019.
This exception allows a trawler to fish in other non-trawl fisheries (if they have the relevant symbol on their commercial fishing boat licence).
This exception only applies if the trawler is moving from:
- a defined port area to another defined port area
- a defined port area to a place outside the east coast trawl fishery area
- a place outside the east coast trawl fishery area to a defined port area
- a place outside the east coast trawl fishery area to another place outside the east coast trawl fishery area.
Gear trial exception
This exception allows a trawler to conduct sea trials to test fishing apparatus. You must provide details of your proposed sea trial (e.g. time and location) at least 24 hours before the journey. Phone the vessel tracking team on 13 25 23 or your local Queensland Boating and Fisheries Patrol.
Remaining in port or outside Queensland waters
If the trawler is in port and will remain there for a period with the vessel tracking unit turned off, or if the trawler is outside Queensland waters, phone the vessel tracking team on 13 25 23 to advise so effort units are not deducted from your quota.
Apply to reinstate fishing days
A fishing day will be recorded as 'used' if a boat operating under the T1, T2 or M1 symbols:
- is detected at a speed of less than 5 knots in the fishery area
- moves more than 250m, or 1000m in deep water
- cannot be detected via vessel tracking, regardless of its geographical location
- has vessel tracking equipment that is not working properly and is not manually reporting.
A fishing day will not be deducted if a boat has a relevant exception in place.
To apply to reinstate fishing days, phone the vessel tracking team on 13 25 23 during business hours. You may be asked to provide additional information.
- Log in to Fishnet Secure to register your vessel tracking unit, update your boat communication notice, and manage your quota (including transfers) and trawl exceptions related to quota deductions.
- Refer to relevant fisheries legislation – the Fisheries Act 1994, Fisheries (General) Regulation 2019 and Fisheries (Commercial Fisheries) Regulation 2019 – for all vessel tracking requirements.