Mackay aquaculture development area
Read the Mackay aquaculture development area (ADA) overview. This location is suitable for Queensland northern fish species and prawns.
- 2,126ha on 3 land parcels
- Potential 2 creek access (Dempster, Hervey Creeks) for intake/discharge
Examples of potential aquaculture species
- Marine prawns (black tiger and banana prawns)
- Marine finfish (e.g. tropical groper and cod, cobia, threadfin, snapper, mullet species)
- Approximately 70km north of Mackay CBD; 40km south of Proserpine (70km north of Mackay airport; 30km south of Whitsunday Coast airport).
- Near Bruce Highway (major highway) and North Coast railway line.
- Seawater access possibly in Great Barrier Reef Coast Marine Park general use and habitat protection zones (preference for minimal aquaculture structures in habitat protection zones).
- Seawater access possible in the Dempster, Hervey Creeks (fish habitat area—management B area).
- Water supply may be periodic due to high tidal range in the region.
- Sections of matters of state environmental significance along the coast and creeks (category B— remnant vegetation).
- Site located within coastal management district—any coastal hazard risks may need to be mitigated.
- Last reviewed: 30 Jan 2019
- Last updated: 25 Feb 2019