Horse and cattle - three-piece brands
Due to significant numbers of applications being received, fully completed applications will be processed within 100 working days of arrival at Licencing Transaction Unit. Fully completed applications will be processed in the order received.
Incomplete applications will be returned for completion and resubmitting.
All cattle of 100kg or more (live weight) must bear a registered brand before being sold in Queensland.
Three-piece brands can be used to establish legal ownership of horses and cattle in Queensland. Symbol brands must be registered in conjunction with three-piece brands. Similarly, cattle earmarks are used to aid identification, but only in conjunction with the three-piece brand it is registered with.
Registering a three-piece brand
To legally use a three-piece brand in Queensland, you must submit an application to register a brand or earmark to the Registrar of Brands with the prescribed fee.
A horse and cattle three-piece brand is registered for use anywhere in Queensland, but initially for use on a property specified by the applicant. Its use elsewhere in the state depends on the brand not conflicting with brands already in use in that locality.
Three-piece brand series
All three-piece brands with a sideways letter must have the sideways letter permanently affixed to another character in the brand.
All characters in a three-piece brand:
- must have a face depth between 30mm and 65mm (face depth refers to the height of the character)
- may be imprinted either vertically or horizontally in any of the prescribed positions. When branding vertically, the brand must remain in its original horizontal format and be rotated clockwise to 90 degrees.
View images and descriptions of the three-piece horse and cattle brand series.
Horse branding positions
The first brander on horses may imprint the registered three-piece brand on any of the following positions:
Cattle branding positions
The first brander on cattle may imprint the registered three-piece brand or symbol brand on any of the following positions:
- twist (the upper rear portion of the animal's hind leg between the pin bone and the hock).
It is illegal to place a brand on the ribs or cheek of cattle.
Age numerals and stud references
Stud, age or herd book reference numbers may be imprinted by the person first branding an animal in any of the prescribed positions.
The numerals or references may be imprinted on any of the prescribed positions or below an imprinted brand for both horse and cattle. If it is imprinted below an imprinted brand it must be imprinted at the same angle and directly beneath the previous brand at a distance of between 35mm and 65mm.
Owners of a registered brand or registered earmark must submit a brand return form annually in January. Brands may be cancelled if owners do not submit these returns.
- Find out about manufacturers and suppliers of branding irons and earmarking pliers in your local area.
- Learn about cross-branding rules.
- Use our branding and earmarking forms.
- Read the Brands Act 1915.
- Find out how to submit your brands online or search the brands database.
- Contact our Customer Service Centre.