COVID-19 alert: Read about changed restrictions for businesses in Greater Brisbane from 6pm, Monday 11 January.
Horse and cattle - symbol brands
Branding and earmarking submissions
When applying for a brand, you must consider the following:
- We prefer to process applications electronically as this results in faster process times.
- All brand and earmark applications should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Note: We will not receive posted applications as fast as electronically submitted applications.
- For security reasons, credit card details must not be entered on the application form.
- Once a fully completed application form is received by the Licensing Transaction Unit (LTU), we will accept it into the processing system.
- Applications will be processed in order of arrival at LTU.
- A staff member will call you to process fee payments via a secured line when they are ready to begin processing your application.
- Currently there is an 80 working day turnaround period for processing fully completed applications.
- A branding exemption is currently in place and cattle producers are not required to brand cattle with a live weight in excess of 100kg before sale.
A symbol brand must be registered in conjunction with a three-piece brand. When registered, it may be used in addition to, or instead of, a three-piece brand.
A symbol brand may be any free-form shape that neither conflicts with, nor is similar to, any registered brand. You can search the brands database for registered brands. All symbol brands include a dot to the right of, and in line with, the lower part of the symbol.
The face depth of a symbol branding iron must be between 30mm and 80mm (face depth refers to the height of the character).
View a table with images and descriptions of horse and cattle symbol brands for examples of symbol brands that may be registered.
Registering a symbol brand
As the design of a symbol brand may be any shape, you should include a short description of the symbol brand shape you plan to register.
- Find manufacturers and suppliers of branding irons and earmarking pliers in your local area.
- Find out how to submit your brand return online or search the brands database.
- Read the Brands Act 1915.
- Contact our Customer Service Centre.