COVID-19 alert: Read about eased restrictions for businesses in Greater Brisbane from 1am, Friday 22 January.
Changing brand or earmark ownership
You have to transfer a brand or earmark when:
- the company that owns the registered brand or earmark is dissolved
- a part owner is added or removed
- the owner or part owner of the registered brand or earmark dies.
Completing a transfer application form
When signing an application form to transfer a brand or earmark:
- all signatures must be witnessed by a justice of the peace, solicitor, barrister, legal practitioner or commissioner for declarations and they must state their capacity as such
- all current registered owners must sign the form
- all new owners must sign the form
- if an owner is deceased, the executor or administrator of their estate must sign the form, stating their capacity as executor or administrator
- if the owner is a company, the signature of a company secretary or director is required, or the signature of a sole director. They must state their capacity on the form.
- the correct fee must be included with the application.
You also have to provide the necessary documents. If:
- someone holds a power of attorney they have to forward a power of attorney document with the transfer form
- a brand is being transferred to a trust, you have to provide a copy of the trust papers.
Read more about registration and transfer of brands.
Transferring a horse or cattle symbol brand separately
When a brand is transferred, a symbol brand that is registered with that brand will also be transferred unless the person requesting the transfer specifies differently. If you want to transfer a symbol brand separately you have to indicate it on the transfer form.
Transferring a cattle earmark
Cattle earmarks can only be transferred in association with its registered brand. The earmark cannot be transferred out of the original earmark district it was registered in. It must be cancelled and reapplied for in the new district. The earmark will only be registered to the applicant if it hasn't already been registered to another person in that district.
Transferring a sheep brand, symbol or earmark
A sheep brand, symbol or earmark will only be transferred if it is to be used in the same district it was originally registered. If the sheep brand or earmark is to be used in a different district, it will be cancelled and you will need to apply to use it in the new district.
A paint brand may only be used in the same colour and position as shown on the certificate of registration.
Transferring pig brands
A pig brand will only be transferred if it is to be used in the same district it was originally registered. If the pig brand is to be used in a different district, it will be cancelled and you will need to apply to use it in the new district.
- Find manufacturers and suppliers of branding irons and earmarking pliers in your local area.
- Find out how to submit your brand return online or search the brands database.
- Read the Brands Act 1915.