COVID-19 alert: Read about changed restrictions for businesses in Greater Brisbane from 6pm, Monday 11 January.
Public access to the register of persons registered to use animals for scientific purposes
Details of each person registered to use animals for scientific purposes will be entered into the register of persons registered to use animals for scientific purposes, which can be accessed by the public (the public register).
A registered person or applicant for registration may apply to be exempted from disclosure of their registration details in the register on the basis that they are likely to be disadvantaged by this disclosure. Exemption from disclosing a person’s name can only be given if the person is an individual (i.e. not a corporation or learning institution).
The register states:
- the registered person’s name, address and registered number
- the animal ethics committee to be used and its terms of reference
- if the person is not an individual, the office holder to whom the chairperson of the animal ethics committee must report
- the date of expiry of current registration and other information considered appropriate.
This register may be inspected and extracts taken from it during office hours at:
Department of Agriculture and Fisheries
5th Floor, Primary Industries Building, 80 Ann Street
BRISBANE QLD 4000
Inspections and taking extracts are free of charge.
Privacy and confidentiality of personal details
Details provided to the Department of Agriculture and Fisheries (DAF) about the use of animals for scientific purposes are covered by the Information Privacy Act 2009 and the Right to Information Act 2009, which regulate how information is held and released by the government.
- Full details on the privacy and confidentiality of records and reports collected as part of using animals in science.
- More information and links to the legislation regarding the collection, storage, use and disclosure of information held by the government may be obtained from the Queensland Government's right to information website.