Coronavirus (COVID-19) update: We are currently updating information following recent Queensland and Australian Government announcements. Find assistance and support for coronavirus affected businesses and industries.

Applying for a commercial operator's licence

Coronavirus (COVID-19) update

Due to current workplace restrictions, we are experiencing delays in processing hard copy applications received via post or facsimile. Please allow at least 3 weeks for hard copy applications to be processed. Online application forms are being processed within normal time frames.

As a qualified operator you can apply for a commercial operator's licence to use herbicides if you live in Queensland. You might also be eligible to apply for a Queensland licence if you are transferring from interstate.

Applying for a licence in Queensland

Once you qualify for an unrestricted licence by gaining approved accreditation, you can apply to Biosecurity Queensland for the licence.

To apply, complete 1 of these forms and pay the prescribed fee:

Please note, relevant statements of attainment must accompany your application.

Renewal of existing licences

If you need to renew your licence, email and state your name and licence number and ask for a renewal link to be sent. The link is customised to include the licensee's current details.

If you have an email address recorded against your licence, an online renewal link will automatically be sent 60 days prior to expiry date.

Applying for a licence if transferring to Queensland from interstate

If you currently work or have previously worked interstate in the occupation of applying herbicides for commercial weed control and you intend to continue this occupation in Queensland you will need to obtain a Queensland commercial operator's licence.

Depending on your qualifications, there are a number of ways that you can apply for a Queensland licence.

Applying for a licence - full accreditation

Check to see if you hold statements of attainment from either a Queensland or interstate registered training organisation (RTO) for the competencies of:

  • AHCCHM307 - Prepare and apply chemicals to control pest, weeds and diseases
  • AHCPMG301 - Control weeds
  • AHCCHM304 - Transport and store chemicals.

If you have these statements of attainment, you hold the approved accreditation and can simply apply for the Queensland commercial operator's licence as described above in 'Applying for a licence in Queensland'.

Applying for a licence - partial accreditation

If you partially hold the approved accreditation (i.e. only 2 of the 3 competencies) you should contact an RTO of your choice and undertake training to obtain the third competency. You then need to get copies of the statements of attainment and apply as described above in 'Applying for a licence in Queensland'.

Applying for a licence - mutual recognition

If you have an interstate licence that allows you to apply herbicides for commercial weed control, you may be able to apply for a commercial operator's licence in Queensland under mutual recognition.

If you hold a current interstate weed control licence but do not hold the approved accreditation, or only partial accreditation, and you wish to apply for a Queensland commercial operator's licence under mutual recognition, you need to establish whether your current interstate licence is equivalent to a Queensland commercial operator's licence. You can check this with the Australian Government's Licence Recognition website. Choose 'pest and weed controllers' as the occupation on the site's home page.

If you determine that your interstate licence is equivalent to the Queensland commercial operator's licence:

  • complete the online application for a licence and pay the fee; or
  • if you cannot apply online, contact our Customer Service Centre on 13 25 23 for a paper based form
  • provide copies of your interstate licence certified by a JP or Commissioner for Declarations
  • provide a signed and witnessed statutory declaration.

Your statutory declaration must:

  • state that you are registered or licensed for the weed and/or pest control occupation in a particular state and specify that state
  • state the occupation you are seeking registration or a licence for, and that you are seeking this according to the mutual recognition principle
  • specify all the states in which you have substantive registration or licences for equivalent weed and/or pest control occupations
  • state that you are not the subject of disciplinary proceedings in any state (including any preliminary investigations or action that might lead to disciplinary proceedings) in relation to those occupations
  • state that your registration in any state is not cancelled or currently suspended as a result of disciplinary action
  • state that you are not otherwise personally prohibited from carrying on any weed and/or pest control occupation in any state, and are not subject to any special conditions in carrying on that occupation, as a result of criminal, civil or disciplinary proceedings in any state
  • specify any special conditions to which you are subject in carrying out any weed and/or pest control occupation in any state
  • give consent to the making of inquiries and the exchange of information with the authorities of any state regarding your activities in the relevant occupation or occupations or otherwise regarding matters relevant to the notice.

Delays may occur in the eventual issue of your Queensland commercial operator's licence if you do not address all of the points listed above in your statutory declaration.

Also consider...