Invasive fish surveillance program
A surveillance program for invasive fish has been authorised under the Biosecurity Act 2014.
- Noxious fish listed as restricted matter in Schedule 2, Part 1 of the Biosecurity Act 2014.
- Noxious fish listed as prohibited matter in Schedule 1, Part 6 of the Biosecurity Act 2014.
- Non-native invasive ornamental fish listed in Schedule 5 of the Biosecurity Regulation 2016.
- Any potentially invasive or high-risk vertebrate and invertebrate species (in addition to fish) that are in circulation in the Australian ornamental aquarium trade. These species may be translocated from aquaria into Queensland's natural waterways, resulting in significant impacts to industry and environment.
Purpose and scope
- Determine the presence or absence of invasive fish and other aquatic biosecurity matter in Queensland.
- Determine the extent of the presence of invasive fish and other aquatic biosecurity matter in Queensland.
- Monitor the effects of measures taken previously in response to the biosecurity risk posed by invasive fish and other aquatic biosecurity matter.
- The biosecurity program will apply to the whole state of Queensland.
Commencement and duration
The program started on 1 July 2023 and will continue until 30 June 2024.
Access to biosecurity program
A copy of the authorisation document of the surveillance program for invasive fish is available for inspection at all Department of Agriculture and Fisheries offices.
A free copy can be provided on request by contacting our Customer Service Centre on 13 25 23.
- Last reviewed: 7 Jul 2023
- Last updated: 7 Jul 2023