Transmissible spongiform encephalopathy (TSE)
Transmissible spongiform encephalopathies are not known to occur in Australia. If you suspect the presence of any of these diseases in animals, contact Biosecurity Queensland on 13 25 23 or the Emergency Disease Watch Hotline on 1800 675 888.
The National Transmissible Spongiform Encephalopathies (TSEs) Surveillance Program is designed to:
- demonstrate to countries that import cattle and sheep products that Australia has a negligible risk for BSE and scrapie
- satisfy international trading agreements
- protect public and animal health by ensuring that TSEs are detected early if they occur in Australia.
For more information, read our comprehensive guide to transmissible spongiform encephalopathies, which includes information on:
- TSE surveillance and testing
- clinical signs of TSEs
- the Australian Ruminant Feed Ban, which is a key strategy in preventing TSEs in Australia.