Applying for building contractor prequalification
Minimum requirements for prequalification
You must meet all these criteria to apply for prequalification for Queensland Government building contracts valued at more than $1 million:
- You must have an ABN that is registered for GST.
- You must apply for prequalification as a sole trader or company. (A contractor can't be prequalified as a trustee or manager under trust arrangements.)
- You must have a minimum net tangible assets for government (NTA-Govt) of $156,000 and a minimum current ratio of 1:1, as calculated using the Contractor Prequalification (PQC) System financial requirements (PDF, 194KB).
- You must hold the appropriate licence to carry out building or building-related work in Queensland—through the Queensland Building and Construction Commission (QBCC) or equivalent.
- If you hold a QBCC licence, it must have a maximum revenue of at least $3 million.
If you don't meet all these criteria, you won't be able to apply for prequalification. Contact us at PQCRegistrar@hpw.qld.gov.au to discuss your situation further.
Information to provide
Make sure you have this information before you start applying:
- ABN (registered for GST) and ACN (where applicable)
- net tangible assets for government (NTA-Govt) and current ratio calculated using the Contractor PQC financial requirements (PDF, 194KB)
- licence details (QBCC or equivalent)
- management system certificates if applicable—see section 3.4 of Contractor PQC application guide (PDF, 202KB) for requirements
- WorkCover and Portable Long Service Leave certificates (if required)
- details of projects completed in the previous 3 years with referee details.
How to apply
There is no fee to apply for prequalification.
To apply, complete these forms:
- Applicant details—form 1 (PDF, 283KB)
- Self-assessment—form 2 (PDF, 522KB)
- Office details—form 3 (PDF, 1.1MB).
See the Contractor PQC application guide (PDF, 202KB) for help completing the forms.
Submit the forms to us by:
- email: PQCRegistrar@hpw.qld.gov.au
- PQC Registrar
Department of Housing and Public Works
GPO Box 2457
BRISBANE QLD 4001.
What happens next
Allow 4–6 weeks for us to process your application.
We will send you an email with your PQC certificate of registration and schedule. The schedule outlines your registration status, including PQC level, project types and geographical areas of operation.
Note: You can't tender for work as soon as you lodge your application. You must be prequalified and registered on the PQC System to be eligible to tender.
Upgrading your registration status
You may upgrade your PQC level or change the services you're prequalified for at any time, however, you may have to provide additional information to the PQC Registrar to do this.
Being removed from the register
We may remove a building industry contractor from the PQC register at any time if they can't satisfy any or all of the prequalification requirements.
Contact us on 1800 072 621 or PQCRegistrar@hpw.qld.gov.au.