Protect your idea
Your idea may be truly innovative, or it may be an improvement to an existing product or service. While you cannot copyright your idea, you can protect your intellectual property (IP) through patents, trademarks and designs.
IP Australia defines intellectual property as something that 'represents the property of your mind or intellect'. While it is important to protect your IP, it is equally important that you do not infringe the IP ownership of others.
Types of intellectual property include:
- trade marks
- registered design
- plant breeder's rights
- circuit layout rights
- moral rights
- confidential information (including trade secrets).
- Use our IP info kit, an online tool designed to help you understand Australia's IP system and find ways to protect your business's IP.
- Find out more about intellectual property for Queensland businesses.
- Learn about information technology risk management.
- Read more about becoming an innovative business.