Business licences and permits
Your business may need one or more Queensland, Australian or local licences or permits to operate. These vary from a basic operating licence to very specific permits (e.g. environmental permits) - depending on the type of business, its structure and location, and whether you employ staff.
Licences, permits and registrations
Businesses that commonly require a licence include:
- security providers
- second-hand dealers
- motor dealers and salespeople
- pest control operators
- building trades.
To find out your business licensing requirements, you should:
- List all of your business activities to get an idea of possible licences and permits you may need.
- Learn about licensing and registrations for your business, trade or profession by reading our business start-up guide.
- Visit the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) for online information about any regulations related to operating your business including:
- a summary of the Queensland, local and Australian government requirements for your business
- the contact details of the agency responsible for each listing
- application forms
- details of fees, periods of cover, and renewals
- online lodgement and secure payment for some licences.
Codes of practice
A code of practice is referenced in an act or regulation and may include general statements of principle and practical advice for how a business or industry should operate, and detailed business practices where businesses must comply with specific standards.
Learn more about codes of practice.