Support for women in business
Find support for women to start, run and grow their business, with information on available mentoring, training, networks, funding, programs and services.
On this page
Self-Employment Assistance provides workshops, business plan development, training and coaching to help you with your business idea or existing small business.
Start your business
Find information on starting your business, including planning, financial essentials, hiring staff, digital business and IT solutions, and what's involved with buying an existing business.
Grow your business
To help you grow and expand your business:
- learn ways to grow, change and improve your business, including adapting and responding to growth
- register to supply to the Brisbane 2032 Olympic and Paralympic Games
- explore export opportunities.
Access the free Mentoring for Growth program to connect with volunteer business experts who provide feedback and suggestions on challenges and opportunities you are experiencing in your business.
- Understand the basics of raising capital.
- Federal, state and local governments offer grants and support to help the development of new and existing businesses.
- Advance Queensland's Backing Female Founders Program invests in female founders to start and grow their businesses in Queensland, through various initiatives.
- Investing in Queensland Women Grants provides one-off grants of $15,000 to community groups and organisations across Queensland's urban, rural and remote regions, for projects and events designed to advance gender equality for women and girls.
- The Australian Resource Directory for Women Entrepreneurs contains relevant programs, funding sources, networks, mentors and tools to support women entrepreneurs.
- Indigenous Business Australia's Strong Women Strong Business connects Indigenous businesswomen with each other through mentoring, networking and relationship building. Find community support from women who know what you are going through, both in business and personal life.
- The Migrant Women in Business program is a place for you to connect with successful migrant and refugee women as you explore a new business or idea, or grow your existing business.
- The Women in Rural, Regional and Remote Enterprises (WiRE) program assists and supports women in rural, regional and remote areas to start and grow their businesses, by promoting and cultivating women entrepreneurship and innovation in rural, regional and remote Australia.
- WOW (Women of the World) drives cultural and creative dialogue, debate and celebration. Editorials, conversations, recordings and resources are gathered here to challenge the status quo, encourage deep reflection and inspiration.
- Contact your local council to find women-owned business networks and events in your area.
Further assistance, training and events
- Find events, forums, workshops and seminars to help you improve your business skills, learn about government grants and grow your networks:
- Access wellbeing support for small business owners.
- Stay up to date with the Business Queensland Connect newsletter.
- Follow Business Queensland on Facebook.
Support women-owned businesses
Help women-owned businesses to grow by:
- becoming a mentor to support women in business
- investing in women-owned businesses
- purchasing from women-owned businesses.
- Read the Queensland Government Women's Strategy 2022–27, committed to supporting business women's success.
- Visit the Queensland Government's Office for Women for dedicated services and support programs for women.
- Read about support and associations for women in rural industries.
- Last reviewed: 21 Apr 2023
- Last updated: 24 Aug 2023