Support for women in business
The Queensland Government's Advancing Women in Business (AWB) initiative supports and encourages more women to start and grow their own business and achieve positions of leadership.
Women in business can access targeted support including programs, grants, events, mentoring and education.
Advancing Women in Business
The AWB initiative demonstrates the Queensland Government's commitment to gender equality. It supports the Queensland Women's Strategy, which recognises that promoting and protecting women's rights, interests and wellbeing and ensuring women's maximum participation in all aspects of society will lead to better social and economic outcomes for all.
Queensland women in business can support business growth by:
- exploring local networks that support women in business
- chatting to a mentor
- building your capabilities
- applying for a grant
- sharing your story to inspire and support other women
- staying up-to-date with the Small Business Connect newsletter
- following Business Queensland on Facebook and Instagram.
Women's business networks in Queensland can email email@example.com to request information to share with members.
Free mentors to support your business growth
As you grow your business it's easy to feel overwhelmed. Your business may be progressing into new territory or you may be dealing with issues that you haven't experienced before.
Find out how our free Mentoring for Growth program can help with business challenges.
Learn how you can become a volunteer mentor to support women in business.
Women in Business Awards
The Women in Business Awards celebrate the extraordinary achievements of women in business. These awards honour our visionaries, innovators, change makers, women of inspiration and young achievers.
The Queensland Government proudly sponsors the Women in Business Awards and Summit as part of its Advancing Women in Business initiative to support and encourage women to start and grow their own businesses, and achieve positions of leadership.
If you know a woman in business who deserves recognition, show your support by nominating her for an award.
To nominate, visit Women in Business Awards of Australia.
Claim Your Confidence
You can enrol in the Claim Your Confidence online course, created by Irene D. Baker with the support of Queensland Government. This course looks at some of the issues that may hold women back from business success.
Enrol in the Claim Your Confidence program.
Learn more about the Claim Your Confidence program.
Each year, the Department of Employment, Small Business and Training works with industry partners to deliver a range of projects and events to help women succeed in business across a range of industries. New projects will be announced in early 2020.
Subscribe to our Small Business Connect newsletter and follow Business Queensland on social media to find out more about events and programs to support your business.
Support for Female Founders
The Female Founders program is designed to assist female founders at different stages of the entrepreneurial lifecycle.
The program focuses on increasing the participation rates and business skills of female founders in Queensland along with providing support to those who are in the growth phase and need assistance to take their business to the next level.
Applications are currently open for the following programs.
Female Founders Impact Program
The Female Founders Impact Program delivers capability development activities with a focus on confidence, education and skills development. Programs include:
- Personalised pathways – a 1-hour consultation to guide you through the available small business support
- Mentor match – apply to be matched to a mentoring expert for one-on-one support
- Learning links – read about Queensland female founders, community news and more
- events and webinars – learn about and register for upcoming events and webinars.
To apply for a program or for more information, visit Impact Innovation.
Female Founders Advisory Board Program
The Female Founders Advisory Board Program is focused on increasing participation rates and business skills of female founders in Queensland. Programs include:
- Essentials program – group sessions designed for female business owners with high growth aspirations who need assistance with improving confidence, skills and identifying available support
- Starter program – designed to establish best practice governance, business diagnostics and foundations of a structure to support female founder growth plans.
To apply for a program or for more information, visit the Advisory Board Centre.
- Find more information on small business grants.
- Register for free business mentoring through the Mentoring for Growth program.
- Learn about mentoring women in business.
- View the 100 Faces of Small Business digital gallery.
- Find business events, webinars and workshops in your area.
- Visit the Queensland Government's Office for Women for more dedicated services and support programs for women.
- Read about support and associations for women in rural industries.
- Last reviewed: 20 Feb 2020
- Last updated: 20 Feb 2020