The Queensland Government is now in caretaker mode until after the state election. Minimal updates will be made to this site until after the election results are declared.
Cyber security for your business
Coronavirus (COVID-19): Cyber security and business scams
Take steps to protect your business from online threats, attacks, phishing emails and scam phone calls:
- read the latest COVID-19 cyber security advice, latest threats, protecting small business from cyber attack and working from home cyber security tips from the Australian Cyber Security Centre
- subscribe to Scamwatch radar to receive latest news and alerts from the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission, including current COVID-19 scams
- read about scams associated with COVID-19 from the Office of Fair Trading
- sign up to the Stay Smart Online alert service and read information about COVID-19 scams, online safety, security and solutions.
We live and work in a connected, online world with small businesses engaging customers around the world to sell products and services at the click of a button. With large numbers of small businesses online, and many receiving payments online, it is critical business data, systems and customer information is protected and secure.
It's important for small businesses to be aware of cyber security risks, particularly in the lead-up to and during major events.
The most common types of cyber security incidents are ransomware, malware, targeted malicious emails and virus/worm infections.
Protecting your business from cybercrime
- Find information from the Australian Cyber Security Centre on:
- Read recommendations from the Queensland Police Service about preventing and reporting cybercrime.
- Register for the Australian Government's Stay Smart Online alert service to stay updated on cyber security threats.
- Read the Australian Taxation Office's top cyber security tips for business and complete the online security self-assessment.
- Download the small business cyber security best practice guide from the Australian Small Business and Family Enterprise Ombudsman.
- Read more about protecting IT data and systems.
You can report suspected cyber security threats to your business via the Australian Cyber Security Centre.
- Last reviewed: 10 Aug 2017
- Last updated: 7 Sep 2020
I want to...
- Payroll tax: Introduction to payroll tax in Queensland 28/10/2020
- Mentoring for Growth day - Logan 29/10/2020