Anzac Day trading hours
COVID-19 food and grocery trading hours
The Chief Health Officer has revoked the Trading Hours Notice on 3 July 2020 and it is no longer in effect.
Under the previous Notice, which operated from 19 March 2020, an owner or operator of a business used predominantly for the sale of food or groceries or both, was permitted to open the business from 7am on a day the shop is permitted to trade, to enable people to obtain essential groceries.
This meant that owners and operators of non-exempt shops predominantly selling food or groceries could open their business from 7am on any day the shop would normally trade. Food and grocery shops that are permitted to open before 7am under the Trading (Allowable Hours) Act 1990 could continue.
For details, read the Notice.
Trading hours for Anzac Day depend on the category of the retail shop.
Exempt shops, except for the sub-category of independent retail shops, have unrestricted trading hours and may trade on Anzac Day.
Independent retail shops as a sub-category of exempt shops
Independent retail shops must remain closed until 1pm on Anzac Day, except if they are a predominantly food and/or grocery store, which can trade unrestricted.
However, specific trading hour restrictions apply for licensed premises. For more information, read Trading hours for liquor licensees.
Non-exempt shops must remain closed on Anzac Day.
Factories and shops (which includes offices) in Queensland are required to close on Anzac Day (25 April each year) with the following exceptions:
- racing venues (horses or greyhounds)
- offices or agencies of TAB (Qld)
- premises licensed under the Liquor Act 1992 (Qld) or Wine Industry Act 1994 (Qld) (see Anzac Day trading hours for licensed premises)
- real estate offices, which may open only for the purpose of rental transactions and must not sell real estate or conduct open house inspections
- premises engaged in:
- printing, publishing and distributing newspapers
- manufacturing, distributing or supplying gas, electricity or water
- necessary continuous manufacturing or mining
- essential services
- supplying of milk
- manufacturing bread and the preparation of food in restaurants, cafes, pastry cook and hot takeaway food kitchens.
Places of public amusement such as cinemas, amusement parks and sporting events (for the entertainment of the general public, whether or not an entry fee is charged) are not permitted to open until 1.30pm, unless written permission has been granted by the Minister for Industrial Relations.
I want to...
- Payroll tax: Introduction to payroll tax in Queensland 28/04/2021
- Payroll tax: Contractor provisions 29/04/2021