Trading hours of retail shops in Queensland
State legislation regarding private employment agents, trading hours, public holidays and child employment continues to apply to all businesses and employees in Queensland.
A review of Queensland's retail trading hours was undertaken by an independent reference group. The Queensland Parliament has passed amendments to the Trading (Allowable Hours) Act 1990 and the changes commenced on 31 August 2017. Read more about changing trading hours.
Shop trading hours in Queensland depend on the type of shop.
There are 2 categories of shops defined by the Trading (Allowable Hours) Act 1990:
- exempt shops - have unrestricted trading hours and are specifically listed in the Act
- independent retail shops - generally have unrestricted trading hours, but have limited numbers of employees
- non-exempt shops - large retailers including supermarkets and department stores.
Hours of trade may also be restricted by other regulations. For example, licensed premises must comply with the Liquor Act 1992 and the Wine Industry Act 1994.
Sunday and public holiday trading hours vary and are listed separately.
This guide explains each category of retail shop and what trading hours apply, both normally and for various public holidays.
I want to...
- Digital Business Workshop - Emerald 26/06/2018
- Digital Business Workshop for Manufacturing - Gympie 26/06/2018