Trading hours of retail shops in Queensland
Shop trading hours in Queensland depend on the type of shop.
There are 2 categories of shops defined by the Trading (Allowable Hours) Act 1990:
- exempt shops – have unrestricted trading hours and are specifically listed in the Act
- independent retail shops – generally have unrestricted trading hours, but have limited numbers of employees
- non-exempt shops – large retailers including supermarkets and department stores.
Hours of trade may also be restricted by other regulations. For example, licensed premises must comply with the Liquor Act 1992 and the Wine Industry Act 1994.
Sunday and public holiday trading hours vary and are listed separately.
This guide explains each category of retail shop and what trading hours apply, both normally and for various public holidays.
- Last reviewed: 16 Jul 2019
- Last updated: 15 Sep 2022
I want to...
- Mentoring for Growth Day - Online 06/06/2023
- Mentoring for Growth Day - Online 07/06/2023