Grants for innovation
Business innovation often requires an up-front investment of resources to develop new ideas, with a view to future profits. For businesses that are unable to fund their own ideas, a range of grants and financial assistance is available to support innovation. An easy way to find suitable grants is to use a grants directory.
Grants directories are often a good place to start if you are looking for innovation funding, but aren't sure what is available to you. The aim of a grants directory is to provide a list of all available grants in the one place. This allows you to easily find the relevant financial support opportunities for your business.
Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS)
ABLIS provides information about grants and subsidies that are tailored to your specific business and industry.
Queensland Government science and innovation grants
Learn about the range of grants and programs available from Advance Queensland.
Grants and assistance finders
Queensland Government Grants Finder – we are trialing a new service designed to help you find Queensland Government grants and assistance programs for your business and research needs.
The Australian Government's Grants and assistance programs tool – provides information on grant opportunities for businesses and industry. This directory can direct you to funding programs for new ideas and initiatives from all levels of government - Australian, Queensland, and local.
Entrepreneurs' Infrastructure Program
The Entrepreneurs' Infrastructure Program, delivered by the Australian Government Department of Industry, Innovation and Science, provides easy to access practical support and funding for small and medium businesses to improve business capability and competitiveness, promote economic growth and support the commercialisation of new ideas. Current programs include:
- Business Evaluations – an assessment conducted at a business’ premises, resulting in a detailed report and recommendations for improvements.
- Business Growth Grants – small, co-funded grants to engage external expertise to assist businesses with implementing improvements recommended by their Business Evaluation.
- Innovation Connections – a facilitated service to:
- identify critical and strategic research needs and opportunities for the business;
- support the business to connect with sources of expertise, technology and advice;
- provide pathways to engage and collaborate with the research sector.
- Accelerating Commercialisation – help for entrepreneurs, researchers, startups and businesses to address key challenges on the commercialisation pathway of bringing novel products, processes and service to the market.
See the full list of the Department of Industry, Innovation and Science's grants for Queensland based businesses.
Renewable energy funding
Renewable energy grants are available for businesses looking to fund an innovative renewable energy project.
Research and development (R&D) tax incentive
The Australian Government’s R&D Tax Incentive helps eligible businesses with a generous tax offset of some of the costs of doing R&D. It aims to help innovative businesses to do R&D and is open to firms of all sizes conducting eligible R&D activities in all sectors. View a snapshot of the R&D Tax Incentive for an overview of the program, including eligibility criteria.
- Read about the process of applying for grants.
- Learn about ways to grow your business.
- Watch the Attracting investment and winning customers webinar series for insights and tips about how to access commercialisation and growth funding.