Where to get workers' compensation insurance

Most Queensland employers get their workers' compensation insurance through WorkCover Queensland. Large businesses that employ at least 2000 workers may be eligible for self-insurance; however, they still need to meet the regulations outlined in the Workers' Compensation and Rehabilitation Act 2003.

WorkCover Queensland

WorkCover Queensland audits Queensland businesses to make sure they have adequate insurance to cover their workers. They also advise on what to do in the event of an injury.

To apply for an accident insurance policy, you will need to give WorkCover Queensland information on your business, including:

  • the date you expect to begin employing people
  • the estimated wages for your business
  • your primary business activity
  • your business type
  • your Australian business number (ABN).

WorkCover Queensland will ask other questions about your location and business details during the application. You will also need to pay a non-refundable premium.

Learn more about applying for an accident insurance policy.


Self-insurance is available to large organisations that employ at least 2000 full-time employees in Queensland. Self-insured organisations provide accident insurance for their workers, instead of insuring with WorkCover Queensland. The Workers' Compensation Regulator oversees self-insurance licensing in Queensland.

Learn more about self-insurance criteria.

Workers' compensation disputes

The Workers' Compensation Regulator monitors workers' compensation in Queensland. If you, as a worker or an employer, feel an insurance claim or policy is unfair, or have other disputes with insurers, you can apply for a review by the Workers' Compensation Regulator.

Also consider...