Where to get workers' compensation insurance

The majority of Queensland employers get their workers' compensation insurance through WorkCover Queensland. Large businesses that employ at least 2,000 workers may be eligible for self-insurance; however, they still need to meet the regulations outlined in the Workers' Compensation and Rehabilitation Act 2003.

WorkCover Queensland

WorkCover Queensland provides insurance to businesses in Queensland who employ workers, and advise employers on what they should do in the event of an injury.

To apply for an accident insurance policy, you will need to give WorkCover Queensland information on your business, including:

  • the date you expect to begin employing people
  • the estimated wages for your business
  • your predominant business activity
  • your Australian business number (ABN).

WorkCover Queensland will ask other questions about your location and business details during the application. You will need to pay a premium to finalise your application.

While you continue to employ workers, you will need to renew your policy with WorkCover Queensland each year. WorkCover Queensland will contact you each July when your policy is due for renewal.

WorkCover Queensland also audits Queensland businesses to ensure they have adequate insurance to cover their workers.

Learn more about applying for an accident insurance policy.


Self-insurance is available to large organisations that employ more than 2000 full-time employees in Queensland. Self-insured organisations provide accident insurance for their workers, instead of insuring with WorkCover Queensland. The Workers' Compensation Regulator oversees self-insurance licensing in Queensland.

Learn more about self-insurance.

Workers' compensation disputes

The Workers' Compensation Regulator monitors workers' compensation in Queensland. If you, as a worker or an employer, feel an insurance claim or policy is unfair, or have other disputes with insurers, you can apply for a review by the Workers' Compensation Regulator.

Also consider...