Accreditation and funding for non-state schools

Applying for accreditation and funding for a new non-state school

If you are the governing body of an existing non-state school wanting to add a new school, or a new corporation wanting to become the governing body of a new non-state school, you must apply for accreditation through the Non-State Schools Accreditation Board (the Board).

You may also apply to the Board to be eligible for government funding for the school. To be eligible, the Board has to be satisfied that the governing body meets the government funding eligibility criteria.

Read more about setting up a new non-state school, refer to the Board's fact sheets or see 'How to apply' below.

Changes to existing schools

If you are the governing body of an existing non-state school wanting to make changes to the school or change the governing body of the school, you must also apply to the Board for approval.

These changes might include:

  • adding a new type of education (primary or secondary)
  • adding or relocating school sites
  • adding year levels
  • changing the relevant student-intake day
  • changing the mode of delivery
  • changing the gender
  • adding boarding
  • changing the governing body of a school
  • applying for eligibility for government funding.

Other changes require a notice to the Board. These include:

  • intention to use or cease a temporary site
  • an attribute of accreditation that is no longer applicable
  • amalgamation of 2 or more schools
  • division of a school
  • surrender of a school.

Read more about changes to an existing school in the Board's fact sheets, or see 'How to apply' below.

How to apply

To apply for accreditation or a change of accreditation:

  1. Download and read the relevant application form or notice.
  2. Complete the documentation, ensuring that all necessary details and attachments have been supplied (which includes a funding application where necessary).
  3. Ensure the application addresses and complies with requirements of the legislation.
  4. Submit the documentation either:

Allow sufficient time for the application to be processed. This processing period can take up to 6 months.

For more information or for help with the forms, contact the Board Secretariat.

Application status

View a list of current applications, as well as finalised applications that have not commenced operation.


If your application is approved, the school will be assessed by the Board within legislative time frames.


Governing bodies may be eligible for funding for schools under their governance. Funding applications are included within all relevant application forms.

Learn more about funding eligibility or see the Board's fact sheets.

More information

A list of forms is also available to notify the Board about changes to a non-state school - for example change of school name, contact details or principal.

For more information please contact the Board Secretariat.

Also consider...

  • Find information about getting development approval for a proposed school site from your local council.