South East Queensland water and sewerage service providers and prices
There are 2 types of organisations—local councils and council-owned distributor-retailers—which provide water distribution, retail and sewerage services to customers in 11 council areas in South East Queensland.
Providers of water and sewerage services
Local councils provide water and sewerage services in the following areas:
The remaining 8 council areas are serviced by these 2 council-owned distributor-retailers:
- Queensland Urban Utilities, which services Brisbane, Ipswich, Lockyer Valley, Scenic Rim, and Somerset local council areas
- Unitywater, which services Moreton Bay, Sunshine Coast and Noosa local council areas.
Prices for water and sewerage services
These 5 council water businesses all buy their treated bulk water from Seqwater, the Queensland Government's bulk water authority.
The final water and sewerage bill customers receive is comprised of 2 components:
- water business charges (Gold Coast, Logan, Redland, Queensland Urban Utilities or Unitywater), which recover the cost of providing water distribution, retail and sewerage services
- Seqwater's charges, which recover the cost of managing water supply assets (e.g. dams, weirs, pipelines and water treatment plants) and which appears on the water and sewerage bill as the 'state bulk water charge' or similar.
- Last reviewed: 9 Apr 2018
- Last updated: 6 Jun 2018