Take our survey to help us provide the best possible support to your small business during COVID-19 and beyond.
Legislative obligations and safety requirements for petroleum and gas
This information details the legislative obligations, including safety requirements for the petroleum and gas industry in Queensland. For additional information, read the technical guidelines for operating plant and the technical guidelines for gas work.
Your prescribed obligations relating to safety and health in the petroleum and gas industry in Queensland are detailed in:
- Petroleum and Gas (Production and Safety) Act 2004 (the Act), Chapter 9 - Safety
- Petroleum and Gas (Safety) Regulation 2018 (the Regulation).
The Regulation prescribes safety requirements for different sectors of the industry. These include standards, codes and other requirements.
Some of the standards that are prescribed as safety requirements are listed as being either:
- mandatory - you must comply with the document in order to comply with the safety requirement
- preferred - you do not need to comply with the document, however, you must have written evidence that your alternative provides a level of risk that is equal or less than would be achieved by complying with the preferred standard.
If an alternative means of compliance is considered, you are required to give the Chief Inspector written notice of the following:
- a statement about why conformity cannot occur
- evidence demonstrating that the level of risk from the alternative solution is less than, or equal to, what will be that which would be achieved by complying with the preferred standard.
If the Section 15 Notice Template cannot be used for your notification purposes please contact email@example.com directly for further information.
Note: In Queensland, the current Australian standard for gas fitting in domestic, commercial and industrial situations is 'AS/NZS5601.1:2010 Gas installations, Part 1 General installations'. This standard was revised and republished in 2013. The comparison between the 2010 and 2013 versions of the standard (PDF, 295KB) details the changes that occurred.
Codes of practice and competency standard
The Codes of Practice prescribed in the Regulation are:
- Australian Pipelines and Gas Association: Code of practice: Upstream polyethylene gathering networks - CSG Industry: Version 5
- Code of practice for the construction and abandonment of petroleum wells and associated bores in Queensland (PDF, 1.5MB)
- Code of practice for leak management, detection and reporting for petroleum operating plant (PDF, 290KB)
- Competency standard for petroleum and gas well drilling and well servicing (PDF, 164KB)
- Last reviewed: 30 Oct 2019
- Last updated: 12 Feb 2020