Legislative requirements, standards and codes for petroleum and gas
This information details the legislative requirements, including safety requirements, standards and codes, for the petroleum and gas industry in Queensland. For additional information, read the technical guidelines for operating plant and the technical guidelines for gas work.
Your prescribed safety obligations are detailed in:
- Petroleum and Gas (Production and Safety) Act 2004 - Chapter 9 - Safety
- Petroleum and Gas (Safety) Regulation 2018.
The Regulation lists safety requirements including standards, codes and other documents. These are listed as being either:
- mandatory - you must comply with the document in order to comply with the safety requirement
- preferred - you do not need to comply with the document; however, you must have written evidence that your alternative provides a level of risk that is equal or less than would be achieved by complying with the preferred standard.
If an alternative means of compliance is considered, you are required to give the Chief Inspector written notice of the following:
- a statement about why conformity cannot occur
- evidence demonstrating that the level of risk from the alternative solution is less than, or equal to, what will be that which would be achieved by complying with the preferred standard.
Email your notice to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Codes of practice: Exploring for and producing petroleum
Codes of practice listed in the Regulation can be downloaded below.
- Safe Work Australia: Managing risks of plant in the workplace
- Australian Pipelines & Gas Association: Upstream PE gathering networks CSG industry version 3.0
- Code of practice for the construction and abandonment of coal seam gas and petroleum wells, and associated bores in Queensland (PDF, 999KB)
- Code of practice for leak management, detection and reporting for petroleum operating plant (PDF, 289KB)
- Competency standard for petroleum and gas well drilling and well servicing (PDF, 164KB)
- Last reviewed: 30 Oct 2018
- Last updated: 31 Aug 2018