Obtaining copies of medicals
Completed health assessment and exit assessment forms (including the health assessment and exit assessment reports) are the property of Resources Safety & Health Queensland (RSHQ). The confidentiality of these forms and reports is protected by law.
Who we can release copies to
RSHQ can release copies of completed forms and reports to:
- the worker, or another person with the consent of the worker
- a doctor or hospital without the coal mine worker's consent if the information is needed to treat the worker and the worker is unable to give consent
- to a person, such as a doctor, without the coal mine worker's consent to enable the person to carry out an assessment or review (e.g. comparative assessment of spirometry)
- an appropriately qualified person for approved research (i.e. approved by a Human Research Ethics Committee under the Public Health Act 2005 or similar body) without the coal mine worker's consent.
How to request copies
Workers can obtain additional copies of their completed health assessment or exit assessment form from the appointed medical adviser (AMA). The AMA may charge for this service.
RSHQ can also supply copies of completed forms and reports free of charge. Workers, and those wanting to obtain records where the worker's consent is required, must make a request in writing using the medical record release form (PDF, 118KB) and include:
- the worker's full name and date of birth
- where to send the medical (name and address)
- the worker's signature and date of the request.
Workers and third parties can email the application to HSU@rshq.qld.gov.au. AMAs are required to upload via the Coal Mine Workers' Health Assessment portal.
Comparative assessments and research
To obtain a copy of a worker's previous spirometry for purposes of comparative assessment, please complete the medical record release form (PDF, 118KB) and upload via the Coal Mine Workers' Health Assessment portal. Worker's consent is not required for these applications.
To discuss potential access to medical records for approved research, email HSU@rshq.qld.gov.au.