Approvals and regulations for biogas projects
Getting a biogas project approved
Most development applications for biogas projects in Queensland are assessed through the Integrated Development Assessment System (IDAS).
Under IDAS, the relevant local government authority generally acts as the assessment manager, making referrals to state agencies where required. State agencies will consider the project under state regulatory framework and in reference to national standards and industry guidelines (see 'Legislation and guidelines for biogas projects' below).
If you are planning a biogas project we recommend contacting your local government authority before going through the IDAS process. Your local government authority can help you understand local and state planning requirements.
Petroleum and Gas Inspectorate
We also recommend contacting the Petroleum and Gas Inspectorate (Department of Natural Resources and Mines) at the design stage of any project involving the capture, storage, transport and use of biogas.
The Petroleum and Gas Inspectorate has published an information sheet for designers, installers and operators of biomethane gas installations in Queensland (PDF, 90KB). This information sheet details the safety, health and compliance obligations for biogas operating plants as prescribed in the Petroleum and Gas (Production and Safety) Act 2004.
Legislation and guidelines for biogas projects
The following regulations and guidelines are relevant to biogas projects. These documents explain the regulatory framework stakeholders have to conform to in order to collect and use biogas:
- Sustainable Planning Act 2009
- Environmental Protection Act 1994
- Waste Reduction and Recycling Act 2011
- Petroleum and Gas (Production and Safety) Act 2004
- Work Health and Safety Act 2011
- Agricultural Standards Regulation 1977
- Environmental Protection Regulation 1998
- Australian Standard AS 4454 (2003) for Composts, Soil Conditioners and Mulches references the biosolids guidelines.
- The Queensland Water Directorate has a comprehensive information sheet on reuse of biosolids in Queensland for its members.