Information for licensees impacted by floods in northern Queensland

The Office of Liquor and Gaming Regulation (OLGR) are ready and available to assist flood-affected licensees to manage their regulatory requirements during the recovery period. Please review the below information, and contact us directly should you require further advice for your specific situation.

Applying for temporary approval to trade from another area

If your licensed venue is partially or wholly destroyed, or so badly damaged that it is unsuitable to conduct business from, you may be able to apply for a temporary authority. This approval allows a licensee to use another part of the venue, or a neighbouring premises to continue trading during this time. For more information, please contact OLGR Licensing on (07) 3224 7131 or email

Waiving of application fees

The impact of the floods may require many licensees to seek approvals and authorities to reinstate their premises. We are waiving application fees for flood impacted licensees until 30 June 2019. After this date, the waiving of application fees for flood-affected licensees may be assessed on a case-by-case basis.

Monthly gaming tax

Gaming machine tax collection is due on the 10th of each month (or the next business day if that date is on a weekend or a public holiday). If you have concerns regarding upcoming monthly gaming tax collections, please contact OLGR Finance on (07) 3872 0860 or email as soon as possible.

Disconnecting/reconnecting electronic gaming machines

You may disconnect and remove electronic gaming machines (poker machines) in emergencies if they are damaged, or at risk of damage. At a later date, you will need to apply to OLGR for approvals to disconnect or dispose of those machines.

A gaming machine that has been exposed to water should not be reconnected/powered up until it has been certified by a licensed electrician as being safe to do so. We recommend you contact your licensed monitoring operator regarding this.

For advice regarding gaming machine technical issues, please call (07) 3872 0828 or email

Compliance concerns and replacing official documents

Please note that OLGR compliance officers will exercise discretion during any visits and inspections of licensed venues affected by the floods. If your licence or permit documentation has been destroyed or misplaced during the floods, please contact OLGR licensing at for a replacement licence.

Other items required to meet compliance requirements may have also been damaged or destroyed. These include (but are not limited to):

  • RSA/RSG/RMLV certificates
  • incident registers
  • risk-assessed management plans (RAMP)
  • exclusion registers
  • gaming machine records
  • and
  • internal and external signage.

We understand that these may take some time to replace but ask you to take reasonable steps to replace any damaged items as soon as practical.

If you are concerned about being able to meet any of your legislative compliance requirements, please call (07) 4760 7625 or email us at or for advice.

Food and alcohol safety in an emergency

Queensland Health has advice and contact details online about food safety in an emergency. They suggest that you dispose of any stock that has been exposed to power outage or floodwater, due to the risk of contamination by sewage or pathogens. This includes (but is not limited to) containers with screw caps, snap-lids, crimped caps (soft drink bottles), twist caps and flip top lids. The Queensland Health factsheet also outlines cleaning and sanitising of kitchens and dinnerware.

How to contact us

Please don't hesitate to contact OLGR's business areas by phone or email for personalised advice.

We are thinking of all licensees, their families and staff who are faced with the challenges of this natural disaster during this time.