Fisheries register of authorities
About the fisheries register of authorities
Queensland's fisheries resources are publicly owned. Details of commercial fishing authorities (licences, permits, and quota holdings) and developmental approvals (aquaculture) are held in the fisheries register of authorities and fisheries developmental approvals systems.
You can inspect the fisheries register of authorities to find commercial fishery details for:
- an authority type, number, and conditions, and the name and postal address of the holder of an authority or developmental approval
- a list of boats authorised to operate in a particular fishery, or people authorised to conduct a type of fisheries-related activity
- a certificate to use as evidence in a legal proceeding, giving official endorsement to the information provided.
Conducting a search
You can search the fisheries register of authorities by:
- visiting FishNet Public to conduct your own free search for details of individual commercial fishing authorities. (Note: Clients' postal addresses are not available through FishNet Public)
- applying to have Fisheries Queensland conduct a more complex search on your behalf or if you require a certificate to use as evidence in a legal proceeding. Please submit the inspect register of authorities and fisheries developmental approvals application for Fisheries Queensland to conduct a search on your behalf. A fee will apply for this option and payment will be required with your application.The fee will vary depending on the type of search (individual or group) and whether you need a certificate to use in legal proceedings. Contact Fisheries Queensland for more information.
Information on developmental approvals is not available on FishNet, but can be accessed by submitting the inspect register of authorities and fisheries developmental approvals application form.
Viewing your own authority details
If you are the holder of an authority and a FishNet Secure password, you can view more information online about your authorities than is visible on FishNet Public.
FishNet Secure allows commercial licence holders to maintain their contact details with Fisheries Queensland, perform a number of transactions online including temporary transfers of quota, viewing quota usage statements and quota balances. You can only view your own authories through this service.
How to apply
To have Fisheries Queensland conduct a search on your behalf, fax the relevant application form to Fisheries Licensing on (07) 3229 8182 or send it to:
Department of Agriculture and Fisheries
GPO Box 2764
BRISBANE QLD 4001
- Please note that fisheries legislation restricts what information can be released to the public about authorities and their holders. Only the information indicated on page 2 of the application can be released. Residential addresses and telephone details remain confidential to Fisheries Queensland.
- Fisheries Queensland may need to contact you to clarify details on the application you submit.
Updating your personal contact details on the register of authorities
If you're an authority holder with Fisheries Queensland and have recently changed your address, it is your responsibility to notify Fisheries Queensland of this change of address. It's also important to notify Fisheries Queensland of any changes to your contact phone numbers or email address. You can update your personal contact details in FishNet Secure.
Entering a commercial fishery
If you are searching the register to determine whether you want to enter a particular fishery, check with Fisheries Queensland first to see if there are any investment warnings or likely changes to management arrangements for the fishery.
For more information, contact Fisheries Queensland on 13 25 23 or email email@example.com.