COVID-19 alert: Read about eased restrictions for businesses in Greater Brisbane from 1am, Friday 22 January.
Getting started in aquaculture
Queensland is an ideal location for developing your aquaculture business. The state's aquaculture practices are sustainable and support the farming of a number of different species.
Queensland's competitive advantages include:
- ideal growing conditions for temperate and tropical species
- an excellent reputation in the international marketplace for high-quality seafood
- clean, unpolluted waters
- the greatest capacity for regional services in Australia, with major towns along most of the coastline
- extensive aquaculture research programs
- a widespread and diverse industrial base
- proximity to major seafood markets in the Asia-Pacific region
- freedom from many of the serious diseases that affect aquaculture in other countries.
This guide will help potential business owners clearly understand the commitments and requirements involved in starting an aquaculture business in Queensland.