Types of sheep and goat brands
Fire brands and paint brands may be registered for use on sheep and goats.
- May take the form of a letter, numeral or other shape.
- May be registered with other shapes or designs, in which case the brand is known as a symbol paint brand.
- Do not have to be a specific size for sheep and goat brands; however, they are required to be of a practical size for legibility.
- Can only be 3 colours:
Note: Use of any other colour is illegal and does not constitute proof of ownership.
Registered sheep and goat districts
Queensland is divided into registered sheep and goat brand districts.
Assessing your paint brand application
Paint brands are allocated to and registered for use in relation to specific brand districts. We cannot register brands that are too similar or easily changed to look like a neighbours' brand.
You can use your registered brand elsewhere in the same district as long is does not conflict with brands used by your neighbours at the new address. You must tell us in writing about the new property address where you intend to use the brand.
If an owner moves into a new brand district, any existing brand will be automatically cancelled. You will need to register again in the new district if you wish to continue using the brand.
Paint brands are registered in a specific color for use in a specified position.
The only branding positions that may be registered are:
- between shoulders
- near shoulder
- off shoulder
- middle of back near rib
- off ribs
- near rump
- off rump
- top of rump.
Note: 'Off' refers to the right side of the animal and 'near' refers to the left side of the animal.
View the positions for paint branding image in the Sheep and goat brands and earmarks owners' manual (PDF, 103KB).
How to apply for a sheep or goat brand
Your brand must be registered before it can be legally used in Queensland.
Branding and earmarking submissions
You must consider the following submissions information when applying for a brand or earmark:
- there is a temporary COVID-19 branding exemption in place for cattle producers – you are not required to brand cattle for sale
- submit your applications electronically so that we receive them quicker and can process them faster
- email all brand and earmark applications to firstname.lastname@example.org
- do not enter credit card details on the application form for security reasons
- when your fully completed application form is received by the Licensing Transaction Unit, we will accept it into the processing system
- applications will be processed in order of arrival
- when we are ready to begin processing your application, we will phone you to process the fee payment(s) via a secure line
- there is an 80 working day turnaround period for processing fully completed applications.