Submitting annual returns for sheep and goats
If you own a registered sheep or goat brand or registered earmark, you must complete a brands return in January every year.
If you do not submit a return for 3 consecutive years, your brand may be cancelled.
When brand or earmark details are unchanged
If your details haven't changed, you may submit your return by 1 of these methods:
- online using the DAF Brands database (iBrands) – you will also need your PIC number or certificate number of the registered brand
- complete the brands return form (PDF, 509KB) then print and mail your form to:
GPO Box 46
BRISBANE QLD 4001
- lodge at your local Department of Agriculture and Fisheries office – you will also need your PIC number or certificate number of the registered brand.
Alternatively, you can scan and email the form to email@example.com.
For further assistance, contact the Customer Service Centre on 13 25 23 ((07) 3404 6999 for interstate callers).
When your details have changed
Important brand updates
Transfers – brands are not automatically transferred by a property sale or by a Will. When you intend to change ownership of a brand, you must lodge an application to transfer a brand or earmark form. A fee applies.
Change of address – owners of brands are required to notify the Registrar of Brands of any change of address. You can notify us by letter or go to My Brands and add your brand and PIC number to see your records. Then click on 'change of details' and update your address details. No fee applies.
Change of name – if you are an owner or part owner and have legally changed your name, you must notify the Registrar of Brands. You can notify us by letter or go to My Brands and add your brand and PIC number to see your records. Then click on 'change of details' and update your name details. No fee applies.
Relinquishment of guardianship or trusteeship – if you wish to cancel a guardianship or trusteeship in connection with a brand. You can notify us by letter or go to My Brands and add your brand and PIC number to see your records. Then click on 'change of details' and relinquish guardianship. It is usual to cancel a guardianship when the person involved reaches 18 years of age. No fee applies.
Notification of death – there is no legal requirement to notify the Registrar of Brands in the event of a death. You only need to advise us about a death if you intend to transfer the brand – read the Transfers information above.
Cancellation – if you no longer wish to retain registration of a brand, complete a cancellation authority form (PDF, 225KB). Where there is more than 1 owner of the brand, all owners must sign the form. If the owner is deceased, the executors/administrators of the estate must sign the form. No fee applies.
How we use annual brand returns
These returns are used to:
- update the brands register
- identify brands being incorrectly used
- allow cancellation of brands no longer in use so they can be reissued to other applicants
- check that earmarks are being used in the correct district for which they are registered
- check that the brand is correctly registered
- identify the need for a transfer, change of address or name, or other action as necessary.