Sheep and goats - paint branding
Coronavirus (COVID-19): Brands application process update
Due to the coronavirus (COVID-19) lockdown there are some changes to the brands application process.
- Currently only horse and cattle three-piece brand applications and pig brand applications, are being processed. You should delay lodging applications for symbol brands or earmarks, until after the COVID-19 pandemic.
- All brand and earmark applications must be emailed to email@example.com. For security reasons, credit card details must not be entered on the application form.
- Once the application form is received, licensing and transaction staff will phone applicants to process fee payments via a secured line.
- Applications may take up to 50 working days to progress.
- Do not post applications as they will not be received by processing staff.
- A branding exemption is in place and cattle producers are not required to brand cattle with a live weight in excess of 100kg before sale. The exemption will apply until the end of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Sheep and goat brands are registered for use within a particular district and cannot be used in any other district. Fire brands and paint brands may be registered for use on sheep and goats.
Only three colours can used for paint branding:
Use of any other colour is illegal and does not constitute proof of ownership.
- Paint brands may take the form of a letter, numeral or other shape.
- Other shapes or designs may be registered, in which case the brand is known as a symbol paint brand.
- Fire brands may be of any shape not already registered, but can only be registered for use on the horns.
- There is no specific size for sheep and goat brands. However, they are required to be of a practical size for legibility.
Paint brands are registered in a specific colour for use in a specified position. The only positions that may be registered are as listed below.
'Off' refers to the right side of the animal and 'near' refers to the left side of the animal.
- Between shoulders
- Near shoulders
- Off shoulder
- Middle of back near rib
- Off ribs
- Near rump
- Off rump
- Top of rump.
- View shapes and patterns of sheep and goat earmarks.
- Find manufacturers and suppliers of branding irons and earmarking pliers in your local area.
- Find out how to submit your brand return online or search the brands database.
- See related branding and earmarking forms.
- Read the Brands Act 1915.
- Contact our Customer Service Centre.