Sheep and goats - paint branding
Branding and earmarking submissions
When applying for a brand, you must consider the following:
- We prefer to process applications electronically as this results in faster process times.
- All brand and earmark applications should be emailed to email@example.com.
- Note: We will not receive posted applications as fast as electronically submitted applications.
- For security reasons, credit card details must not be entered on the application form.
- Once a fully completed application form is received by the Licensing Transaction Unit (LTU), we will accept it into the processing system.
- Applications will be processed in order of arrival at LTU.
- A staff member will call you to process fee payments via a secured line when they are ready to begin processing your application.
- Currently there is an 80 working day turnaround period for processing fully completed applications.
- A branding exemption is currently in place and cattle producers are not required to brand cattle with a live weight in excess of 100kg before sale.
Sheep and goat brands are registered for use within a particular district and cannot be used in any other district. Fire brands and paint brands may be registered for use on sheep and goats.
Only three colours can used for paint branding:
Use of any other colour is illegal and does not constitute proof of ownership.
- Paint brands may take the form of a letter, numeral or other shape.
- Other shapes or designs may be registered, in which case the brand is known as a symbol paint brand.
- Fire brands may be of any shape not already registered, but can only be registered for use on the horns.
- There is no specific size for sheep and goat brands. However, they are required to be of a practical size for legibility.
Paint brands are registered in a specific colour for use in a specified position. The only positions that may be registered are as listed below.
'Off' refers to the right side of the animal and 'near' refers to the left side of the animal.
- Between shoulders
- Near shoulders
- Off shoulder
- Middle of back near rib
- Off ribs
- Near rump
- Off rump
- Top of rump.
- View shapes and patterns of sheep and goat earmarks.
- Find manufacturers and suppliers of branding irons and earmarking pliers in your local area.
- Find out how to submit your brand return online or search the brands database.
- See related branding and earmarking forms.
- Read the Brands Act 1915.
- Contact our Customer Service Centre.