Department of Agriculture and Fisheries Animal Ethics Committee
The Department of Agriculture and Fisheries Animal Ethics Committee (AEC) provides corporations, institutions and individuals with access to an AEC if they are unable to establish their own.
You may seek approval from the department's AEC to conduct scientific activities involving the use of animals in Queensland.
Applying for approval from the department's AEC
To apply for approval to conduct scientific activities using animals, you must:
- Register with Biosecurity Queensland as a user of animals for scientific purposes by completing the appropriate registration form.*
- Complete the Application to Use Animals for a Scientific Purpose form.
*You must register with Biosecurity Queensland before obtaining approval from the Department of Agriculture and Fisheries AEC.
Approved forms cannot be updated after your application has been approved. To send an update or provide us with additional information, you must use the following forms:
- Appendix Pro Forma - use this form in conjunction with the amendment form to list additional staff to the approval
- Amendment request for an approved project
- Adverse Event Report - use this form to report any adverse events during the project to the AEC
- Appendix to Application to Use Animals for a Scientific Purpose (teaching activities) - complete this form if your project involves teaching or training activities.
Project completion reporting
You must provide written advice to us once your project finishes by completing the Project Completion Advice form. We will send you a reminder to submit the form when your project reaches its completion date.
At the end of each calendar year everyone with a current AEC approval from the department's AEC must provide written advice by completing the Annual Progress Report form. You will need to use the Animal Types List to complete the progress report.
You must complete annual reporting as early in the year as possible to allow us to meet legislated animal use reporting requirements.
AEC summary report
At the end of each financial year the AEC submits an annual report to the Department of Agriculture and Fisheries. This report covers the AEC’s compliance with the Code and the functioning of the AEC. Read a summary of the AEC annual report.
AEC terms of reference and procedures
The AEC terms of reference and procedures provides details of current AEC processes. It combines the AEC terms of reference and AEC procedures.
AEC (Community Access) 2021 meeting dates
The Department of Agriculture and Fisheries Community Access AEC 2021 meeting dates are provided. Please note these are a guide only.
|Applications due||Date of meeting|
|6 January||18 January|
|10 February||22 February|
|17 March||29 March|
|7 April||19 April|
|19 May||31 May|
|16 June||28 June|
|14 July||26 July|
|18 August||30 August|
|15 September||27 September|
|13 October||25 October|
|17 November||29 November|
Contact our Customer Service Centre for more information or to speak to a member of the department's AEC.