Livestock and animal industries laws and requirements
You need to know your responsibilities for animal health and the impacts of chemicals, pests and diseases under the Biosecurity Act 2014 as well as regulations and industry codes.
These protect the industry and the animals, and ensure food is produced safely.
Understand your requirements and responsibilities to prevent biosecurity threats to Queensland.
Read about compulsory and voluntary codes for animal welfare in Queensland, and legislative requirements such as the Animal Care and Protection Act 2001.
Your animal welfare duties extend to animal welfare in natural disasters and preparing animals for weather events.
Learn about the legal requirements for transport and movement of livestock.
Manage the environmental impacts of cattle in feedlots by:
- obtaining an environmental authority under the Environmental Protection Act 1994
- complying with the national guidelines for the industry.
Poultry farms and egg production
Learn about poultry farm legal requirements to:
- obtain an environmental authority under the Environmental Protection Act 1994
- establish or operate a poultry farm in Queensland
- comply with laws against feeding swill to poultry
- meet food safety requirements for producing safe eggs.
- Comply with laws against feeding swill to pigs.
- Understand your legal obligations to manage the environmental impacts of a piggery.
- Last reviewed: 21 Sep 2022
- Last updated: 4 Apr 2023