Environmental management for piggeries
If you are operating a piggery in Queensland, you must comply with Australian and Queensland laws and regulations.
To legally operate, you need:
- an environmental authority (EA) issued under the Environmental Protection Act 1994
- a development permit from your local council.
These approvals contain environmental management conditions.
Apply for an environmental authority
The Department of Agriculture and Fisheries (DAF) issues EAs for piggeries.
Use the licences and permits finder to find out what you need to include in your application.
Apply for an EA:
Register as a biosecurity entity
If you keep 1 or more pigs, you must register your property with Biosecurity Queensland.
Local or site-specific requirements
Before purchasing land for a piggery, check with the local council for any environmental management requirements, such as separation distances from houses.
Talk to DAF about site-specific requirements.
The National environmental guidelines for piggeries encourages operators to be environmentally sustainable and to operate with minimum environmental impact.
The guidelines include:
- buffer distances
- ways to minimise, compost or re-use by-products
- effluent collection systems
- environmental risk assessment
- performance assessment and monitoring
- environmental management plans
- emissions reporting and regulations
- options to improve positive environmental outcomes.
Manage environmental impacts
You must consider your general environmental duty and incorporate management strategies to prevent or minimise environmental harm.
Read the National environmental guidelines for piggeries for more detail on how to manage odour, waste and other environmental concerns.
- Environmental Protection Act 1994
- Environmental Protection Regulation 2019
- Vegetation Management Act 1999
- Nature Conservation Act 1992
- Water Act 2000
- Animal Care and Protection Act 2001
- Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999 (Cwlth)
- Last reviewed: 22 Nov 2022
- Last updated: 29 Nov 2022