Treatment and control of West Indian drywood termite

To protect your property against West Indian drywood termites (WIDT), you should know the habits of drywood termites and have regular building inspections.

If you wish to, you need to contact a licensed pest management technician to treat it (at your own expense).

Structural fumigation (commonly known as 'tenting' or 'tent fumigation') of buildings is a specialist service and not all pest management technicians are authorised to conduct this activity.

Ask your pest technician to provide evidence of their pest control licence, as required under the Medicines and Poisons Act 2019. This licence must have endorsements for timber pests and fumigation with site environment specified.

Pest technicians

The following pest management companies offer treatment of buildings, timber and furniture for WIDT.

If you are a pest technician and offer structural and furniture fumigation for the treatment of WIDT, phone 13 25 23 to have your contact details added to the list above.

Disposal and removal of affected timber

If you no longer wish to keep WIDT-infested furniture or other timber items, phone 13 25 23 for advice on how to safely dispose of them.

In most cases, once infested items have been treated then wrapped or sealed, you can deposit them in the general waste stream at your local council waste management facility.

WIDT-infested timber and furniture can be moved to an approved fumigation treatment facility, or a pest management technician may be able to be treat items on-site.

Market access

There are no restrictions relating to WIDT on moving timber products to other states from Queensland. During the 2-year transition period, the Queensland Government will closely monitor this situation and, if required, will negotiate market access conditions with other states and territories to allow industry to continue moving new and used timber and furniture to interstate destinations. Consultation has already commenced.