How to make an animal welfare complaint

Two agencies have animal welfare inspectors under the Queensland Animal Care and Protection Act 2001 - Biosecurity Queensland and RSPCA Queensland.

Biosecurity Queensland (DAF)

Biosecurity Queensland (the Department of Agriculture and Fisheries) handles complaints about commercial livestock, including poultry enterprises, and other complaints outside of the major centres where RSPCA is located.

To make a complaint, phone the Customer Service Centre on 13 25 23 between 8am and 5pm Monday to Friday (with the exception of public holidays and Thursdays 9am to 5pm).

RSPCA Queensland

The RSPCA handles complaints about hobby farms and companion animals (pets).

To contact the RSPCA, phone 1300 264 625 (1300 ANIMAL) between 8am and 7pm, 7 days a week. RSPCA ambulance staff answer calls outside these times.


If you cannot reach Biosecurity Queensland or the RSPCA and the matter is urgent, you can also phone your local police station.

Always phone the police if there has been a road accident involving animals.

Information you need to give

When you phone, you will need to give:

  • your name, address and a contact phone number
  • the address where the animals are located
  • the details of your concern, such as the type and number of animals, the problem with the animals and the condition of the animals
  • the name, address and phone number of the animal's owner, if known
  • any other issues that inspectors need to know, such as whether savage dogs live at the place or people there are potentially abusive or violent.

Be aware that:

  • anonymous complaints may not be routinely investigated
  • it is an offence to make a vexatious or hoax complaint.