Coronavirus (COVID-19) update: We are currently updating information following recent Queensland and Australian Government announcements. Find assistance and support for coronavirus affected businesses and industries.

Building certificate of classification

Classification of buildings

The National Construction Code (NCC) classifies buildings into 10 different classes depending on their use. Read a summary of the 10 classes.

Queensland uses these classifications in its building standards.

Certificate of classification

Under the Building Act 1975, any building that was built after 1 April 1976 should have a certificate of classification with its building approval.

This doesn't apply to a single detached house (class 1a), or a carport or garage (class 10).

Local governments, building certifiers, building owners and other stakeholders should be aware of what is included in a certificate of classification and where to display these certificates.

A building's certificate of classification contains information about:

  • the building's class
  • how the building can be used
  • ongoing maintenance requirements
  • fire safety
  • other special requirements.

If a classification certificate isn't available or you don't know if one was issued with the building approval, you can obtain one from the local government.

Find more information in the certificates of classification guideline (PDF, 1MB).

Displaying a certificate of classification

Under the Building Act 1975, you must display a certificate of classification before a building can be used or occupied, if the building:

  • is class 1b to 9
  • was completed after 1 July 1997.

Displaying the certificate ensures that building occupants, Queensland Fire and Emergency Service (QFES) officers and local government officers have the relevant information they need.

QFES and local government officers may ask for a certificate of classification to be provided if it's not already displayed. They may also request documents such as fire safety management plans or maintenance reports for fire safety systems.

Where to display a classification certificate

The certificate of classification should be displayed as near as practical to the main entrance of a building.

If a building has more than one main entrance, display the certificate at the entrance that emergency services would normally use and where the building's fire indicator panel is located.

If a certificate for a multi-tenancy building is displayed near the complex's main entrance, the individual unit owners don't need to display a certificate at their unit, unless the use of the unit has changed since the original certificate was issued and has its own certificate of classification.

You don't need to display a certificate of classification in a frame. However, you should ensure it is fixed securely and can't be damaged.

If it's displayed on the outside of a building, ensure it's protected from the weather.

Tenancies with own entrances

Some buildings have several tenancies that open directly to the outside of the building. In this case, you may display the certificate of classification in a single location on the outside of the building.

The certificate should be:

  • located as close as practical to the entrance of the property
  • weather-proof
  • fixed securely.

Alternatively, display a copy of the certificate as near as practical to the entrance of each individual tenancy.

Buildings with more than one classification

If there is more than one certificate of classification for a large building, such as a shopping centre, there are different ways to display them.

You may display:

  • all the certificates near the main entrance
  • a certificate at each of the tenancies as near as practical to the tenancy's entrance.

Penalty for non-compliance

It is an offence not to:

  • display a certificate of classification in a building
  • comply with the restrictions stated on the certificate.

Failure to do either may incur a financial penalty.


Coronavirus (COVID-19) business support: 1300 654 687

General enquiries: 13 QGOV (13 74 68)