Step 4: Financial benchmarks
Thinking of starting a business?
Be prepared - take our business readiness quiz.
Benchmarks are key financial ratios developed from information provided by businesses on activity statements and tax returns. You can use this information to compare a business's performance against similar businesses in the same industry.
Your business or industry association may have data about performance standards (or benchmarks) for your industry. Some financial benchmarking data is also available from the Australian Taxation Office (ATO).
Find ATO benchmarking data
- Go to Small Business Benchmarks.
- Click on 'In detail'.
- To find benchmark information, you can search either 'Benchmarks A-Z' or 'Benchmarks by industry'.
- Click on the relevant industry benchmark (e.g. 'Restaurants').
- To save the benchmark information, either print the information or email yourself the link.
To go to the next step of your online market research, click the 'Next' button on the bottom right of this page.
- Learn more about how to find benchmarking data.
- Read more about different research resources for business and industry.
- Use our business planning template to record the results of your market research.
- Find out about the range of useful data for small businesses from the Australian Bureau of Statistics.
- Read about how to monitor your financial performance.