The Queensland Government is now in caretaker mode until after the state election. Minimal updates will be made to this site until after the election results are declared.
Step 2: Community profiles
Thinking of starting a business?
Be prepared - take our business readiness quiz.
The Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) has a number of products to help you access and interpret Census information.
ABS's 'Community Profiles' are excellent tools for researching, planning and analysing geographic areas for social, economic and demographic data. This information will assist when researching your target market and to build a profile of potential customers within your chosen region.
How to search ABS Community Profiles
- Go to Community Profiles.
- Type a location into the search box (right hand side) and then select the correct location from the drop-down menu.
- Click on the 'GO' button.
- Click on 'Basic Community Profile'. (Note: if a dialog box appears select 'Open'.) A new window will open.
- Double-click on the Excel file to open it.
- Click on the tabs at the bottom of the Excel workbook to view data.
- Save a copy of this file to your desktop.
To go to the next step of your online market research, click the 'Next' button on the bottom right of this page.
- Learn more about different research resources for business and industry.
- Use a business planning template to record the results of your market research.
- View the useful range of data to help you understand your community from the Australian Bureau of Statistics.
- Find out more about market research.
- Read about how to do a SWOT analysis.
I want to...
- Payroll tax: Introduction to payroll tax in Queensland 28/10/2020
- Mentoring for Growth day - Logan 29/10/2020