Step 2: Community profiles
Thinking of starting a business?
Be prepared – take our business readiness quiz.
The Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) has a number of products to help you access and interpret Census information.
ABSs 'Community Profiles' are excellent tools for researching, planning and analysing geographic areas for social, economic and demographic data. This information will assist when researching your target market and to build a profile of potential customers within your chosen region.
How to search ABS Community Profiles
- Go to Community Profiles.
- Under Search Community Profiles, select census year.
- Type a location into the search box (right hand side) and then select the correct location from the drop-down menu.
- Click on the GO button.
- Click on General Community Profile.
- Double-click on the Excel file to open it.
- Click on the tabs at the bottom of the Excel workbook to view topics data.
- Save a copy of this file to your desktop.
To go to the next step of your online market research, click the 'Next' button on the bottom right of this page.
- Learn more about different research resources for business and industry.
- Use a business planning template to record the results of your market research.
- Find data to support your market research from the Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS).
- Find out more about market research.
- Read about how to do a SWOT analysis.
I want to...
- Mentoring for Growth Day - Online 04/10/2022
- Small Business Wellness Package Launch – Gold Coast 04/10/2022