Step 2: Community profiles
Thinking of starting a business?
Be prepared - take our business readiness quiz.
The Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) has a number of products to help you access and interpret Census information.
ABS's 'Community Profiles' are excellent tools for researching, planning and analysing geographic areas for social, economic and demographic data. This information will assist when researching your target market and to build a profile of potential customers within your chosen region.
How to search ABS Community Profiles
- Go to Community Profiles.
- Type a location into the search box (right hand side) and then select the correct location from the drop down menu.
- Click on the 'GO' button.
- Click on 'Basic Community Profile'. (Note: if a dialog box appears select 'Open'.) A new window will open.
- Double-click on the Excel file to open it.
- Click on the tabs at the bottom of the Excel workbook to view data.
- Save a copy of this file to your desktop.
To go to the next step of your online market research, click the 'Next' button on the bottom right of this page.
- Learn more about different research resources for business and industry.
- Use our business planning template to record the results of your market research.
- Read the Australian Bureau of Statistics' range of data to help you understand your community.
- Find out more about market research.
- Read about how to do a SWOT analysis.