Licences, permits and regulatory requirements
The licensing, permit or registration requirements for your business will depend on your business type and structure, its location, and whether you employ staff.
You must operate your business with the correct licences and permits. If you don't, you could experience serious penalties.
Contact your local council
Every council has different regulations. You can contact your local council, using the local government directory, to discuss town planning laws, zoning requirements and other issues such as home business requirements. You must gain council approval for any relevant issues before you begin operating.
There are many areas of your business that you may need to register, including your business name, trademark and domain name, as well as registering your business for tax. Learn more about getting the right licences and registrations for your business.
Licences, permits and regulatory requirements checklist
- Visit ABLIS (Australian Business Licence and Information Service) to find the Australian, Queensland and local government licensing information specific to your business.
- Read our business start-up guide to understand more about operating requirements for business.
- Seek professional advice from your solicitor regarding any licences, permits and regulations that affect your business.
I want to...
- Payroll tax: Grouping provisions 26/11/2020
- Payroll tax: Introduction to payroll tax in Queensland 12/01/2021