Staff with the right skills and knowledge will help make your business a success. Before hiring, you must understand your obligations as an employer. These vary depending on the type of staff you hire, which may be:
- permanent (full- or part-time) employees
- casual employees
- trainees or apprentices
- contractors (working for a fixed term and who are established in their own business)
- temporary employees (e.g. from an employment agency).
Learn more about taking on staff.
It is important for you to understand employment legislation and your obligations towards the people who work for you. Obligations can cover considerations such as:
- pay as you go (PAYG)
- payroll tax
- awards, pay rates, leave, employee entitlements and employee hiring and termination
- WorkCover insurance
- work health and safety
- anti-discrimination and equal employment opportunities.
Learn more about your obligations as an employer.
Finding and hiring staff
Finding and hiring the right staff can be expensive and time consuming. Before you hire new staff, consider whether existing staff have the skills or knowledge that you need, or are able to acquire them with more training.
Learn more about finding the right people.
Employing staff checklist
- Find out more about tax and superannuation obligations when employing people.
- Work out your Queensland payroll tax liability based on the taxable wages you pay.
- Learn more about anti-discrimination legislation and equal employment in the workplace.
- Visit the Fair Work Ombudsman to understand awards, pay rates, leave, employee entitlements and hiring and termination information.
- Learn more about workers' compensation insurance.
- Find out about types of flexible working arrangements.
I want to...
- Mentoring for Growth - Brisbane 21/06/2018
- Growing Queensland's Companies Program - Growth Clinic 21/06/2018