Mental health and wellbeing resources for businesses
Running a business can bring about many work and personal challenges that can affect your mental health, particularly for small business owners. Trying to manage multiple responsibilities while running your business may cause you stress when those challenges exceed your ability to manage them.
As a small business owner, it's essential to look after your mental wellbeing and the wellbeing of your staff, so you can stay on top of business challenges and workplace stress.
Warning signs and symptoms
Make sure you are aware of the early warning signs and symptoms that may indicate you're struggling with your mental health.
Check to see if you are experiencing any of these physical or psychological issues
- Tiredness and fatigue
- Sleep disturbance, insomnia
- Upset stomach, indigestion, diarrhoea
- Headaches, other aches and pains
- Weakened immune system
- Episodes of fast, shallow breathing and excessive sweating
- Loss or change of appetite
- Difficulty concentrating
- Being unusually tearful or emotional
- Irritability and anger
- Feeling overwhelmed
- Difficulty in making decisions
- Avoiding social situations
- Drinking alcohol to cope
- Negative thinking
- Memory problems
- Worrying excessively
- Racing thoughts
- Loss of confidence
- Low self-esteem
Take some time to read and explore the resources and support available below to help you look after your mental health and wellbeing (and of your staff), especially during stressful times.
Coronavirus (COVID-19) mental health resources
These COVID-19 mental health and wellbeing resources, tips, advice and support have been developed by the Queensland and Australian Governments, to help you manage during the pandemic.
- Queensland Mental Health Commission:
- information on COVID-19 and mental health, crisis and support contacts, videos, and support services
- information sheet on mental health and wellbeing for small business
- small business information on business support, managing change, supporting colleagues, self-care and more
- Queensland Department of Health
- Looking after your mental health during COVID-19 restrictions – tips and information on looking after yourself and those around you
- Head to health – tips, support and resources on maintaining good mental health during stressful times
- Your mental wellbeing – strategies and advice on looking after your mental wellbeing and building your resilience during COVID-19
- My business health – access to tools, templates and tips to manage stress and proactively engage with running your business
- Australian Psychological Society – Coronavirus (COVID-19) anxiety and staying mentally healthy fact sheet (PDF, 106KB)
- Beyond Blue – Coronavirus mental wellbeing support service offers information, advice and strategies for business owners and managers.
General mental health and wellbeing resources
Read these general resources from government and mental health organisations.
- Beyond Blue – business advisers' free mental health guide for small business owners, designed to support their clients' mental wellbeing. The guide includes practical information, tips and links to further resources.
- Black Dog Institute – tips and information on how to make your business or workplace mentally healthy.
- Dear mind – ideas and inspiration for incorporating mental wellbeing activities into your everyday life and links to wellbeing resources and support services.
- Heads up – a wide range of resources, information and advice including an interactive tool to help you create an action plan that's tailored for your business.
- R U OK? – mental health resources, including a mental health handbook for small business owners that encourages business owners, leaders and employees to build an R U OK culture in the workplace.
- Workplace Health and Safety Queensland – Mentally healthy workplaces toolkit has guidance material and practical tools to help you make positive steps towards a mentally healthy workplace.
- Last reviewed: 27 Oct 2020
- Last updated: 28 Oct 2020