Finding grants and business support
Federal, state and local governments offer grants and support to help the development of new and existing businesses.
Eligibility and criteria for grants and support can vary depending on if you have an established or new business, the industry you operate in and the economic environment at the time.
Grants and your business
Grants and support programs can be available in various areas, including:
- growth and innovation
- research and development
- environmental sustainability.
Available grants and support will change to reflect different regions or industries that would most benefit from support at the time.
Grants may provide full funding for a project or partial funding where the grant provides 50% of the amount.
Grants and support programs can also include:
- incentive schemes
- research fellowships
- free products, such as business planning tools
- advisory and mentoring services
- workshops and seminars
- general and industry-specific training
- networking opportunities.
Take the time to research what grants and support are available, what the eligibility criteria are and what documentation is required before lodging an application.
Finding a grant
You can search for grants based on different criteria, including your industry, objectives, goals and your business turnover range.
Searching for keywords (e.g. 'agriculture' or 'start-ups') can help to narrow down your options and find more appropriate support for your business.
Many grant opportunities are provided on grant and support program websites, including:
- Queensland Government's
- Australian Government's
- grants and programs finder on Business.gov.au.
Applications for grants and support often have specific dates for when they open and close, so you need to prepare and allow enough time to complete the application.
Read application forms and supporting material
Always read the eligibility criteria for a grant and any guides or supporting information to understand all the requirements and improve your chances of getting a grant. Contact the grant provider if you need more information or support.
Learn how to prepare and write a grant application.
Professional grant writers can also help you with applications, but you are not required to have one.
Eligibility for grants and support is often based on your current business position, including:
- business status—your Australian business number (ABN) and how long you have been trading
- the scope of the grant (e.g. research and development, exporting)
- capability of you and your business—who will be involved, advisers you may use to conduct the project
- timelines—will the project be done within the required time?
- financial—the budget and how it will be expended
- other requirements (e.g. your agreement to provide the financial acquittal at the completion of grant spending).
Common grant eligibility criteria
A minimum trading time is required to be eligible for grants and support—for example, you may need to have a trading history of at least 3 years at the time of applying.
Search for your business stage on government grant websites (e.g. the grants and programs finder on Business.gov.au).
Your business must fall within the parameters for financial turnover and employees to be eligible—for example, have a minimum turnover of $500,000 for the last financial year and have fewer than 20 employees at the time of applying for the grant.
Your business structure must be the type identified, and the business must meet other criteria relating to ABN, GST and bankruptcy to be eligible.
You must be in the designated location to be eligible—for example, you must be in Queensland or a regional location.
You must be part of the industry or fall within the category to be eligible.
Search for your industry or other categories (e.g. retail trade, indigenous business) on the Grants Finder.
The grant will cover what you are permitted to spend the grant funds on.
For example, you may be eligible to apply for a grant to fund production equipment to meet otherwise unachievable growth demand, but you can not use the money to fund any salaries.
Grant assessors may consider your business capability, the experts you will use and how closely your project meets the scope of the grant.
- your management, commercial, professional, and technical expertise, and that of your key personnel and activity partners
- your record in delivering outcomes on time and within budget from similar activities.
Your budget for the project will affect your eligibility for grants.
Establish the cost of your project by getting quotes and proposals in advance and work with your advisers if needed.
Plan for how you will fund your share if you receive partial funding (e.g. if the grant pays 75%, you must show how you will fund the remaining 25%).
- Last reviewed: 8 Dec 2022
- Last updated: 8 Dec 2022