Business Basics Grants Program
Business Basics grants program now closed
The Business Basics grants program round 3 has now closed.
We have received the maximum number of applications for both SEQ and regional Queensland funding streams for competitive assessment.
Subscribe to the Small Business Connect newsletter to keep up to date with all the latest information for Queensland small businesses.
|Program key details|
|Eligible business size||Small businesses|
South East Queensland and regional Queensland grant rounds are now closed
Round 3 is closed for:
Round 3 is now closed. We have received sufficient applications for competitive assessment.
The Business Basics grants program round 3 is closed for SEQ and regional Queensland.
Correct as of: 10.44am AEST on Tuesday, 17 May 2022
* Required for competitive assessment.
Each round of the Business Basics grants program has specific information to help you prepare and apply for a grant, and if successful, manage your grant.
The Business Basics grants program provides support to businesses to increase core skills and adopt best practice.
This support includes funded activities in 5 priorities:
- Training and coaching
- Website build or upgrades
- Professional business advice
- Strategic marketing services
- Business continuity and succession.
The program is administered by the Department of Employment, Small Business and Training (DESBT).
SEQ and regional Queensland funding closed
Applications for both South East Queensland and regional Queensland have now closed.
For this round, there are 2 funding streams based on what Local Government Area (LGA) eligible businesses are headquartered. These LGAs are grouped into either South East Queensland or regional Queensland.
You may be eligible for a single up-front fixed grant payment of $5,000 (excluding GST).
The grant is for funding activities from the above 5 priorities.
We will not fund activities with either:
- a total cost of less than $5,000 (excluding GST)
- payments made before the approval date (you must be approved before you pay for grant-funded activities).
Eligible and ineligible activities
Training and coaching
- Business development, marketing, human resources or business planning topics
- Training or coaching of up to 4 months in duration
Website build or upgrades
- Website build or upgrade (including website refresh)
- Adding e-commerce
- Developing new website content
Professional business advice
- Business plans
Strategic marketing services
- Strategic marketing plans including search engine optimisation advice
Business continuity and succession
- Business continuity and succession plans
- Cybersafety training and tools
We will not fund:
- activities bought using cryptocurrencies, barter, or services in-kind
- general business operating costs (e.g. bookkeeping or accounting, tax returns)
- real estate/property, hire, lease, or rental fees
- goods, services, or fees from related parties (include companies with common shareholdings or directors, employees or immediate family)
- franchise fees
- purchase of stock
- GST, registration, and fees
- maintenance of existing digital technologies
- computer hardware (e.g. computer servers, PCs, tablets/iPads, mobile phones)
- other hardware/devices/equipment (e.g. televisions, EFTPOS, card and chip readers)
- activities purchased through direct selling (e.g. by party plan or network marketing)
- delivery, credit card and transaction fees
- memberships and joining fees
- fleet vehicles
- website hosting
- implementation of marketing tactics such as advertising, direct marketing (e.g. telemarketing) or campaign delivery (e.g. Google AdWords, Facebook advertising or similar expenses).
This grant is now closed.
This grant program is competitively assessed. Not all applications will be funded.
Detailed application process
You must complete an online application in the DESBT SmartyGrants portal.
Your application must include the following documents:
- a signed and witnessed statutory declaration from the business's owner or director stating the business meets all grant eligibility criteria
- supplier quotes (no more than 2), dated after 13 April 2022, detailing description and costs of services, who will undertake the activity, and an outline of key activities. You will only be able to upload 1 quote per supplier.
Following closure of the round, we then run a competitive assessment process.
We will advise all applicants of the outcome of their grant application. Successful applicants will receive an approval letter outlining the funding agreement.
Grant recipients enter into a funding agreement with us and receive a single upfront grant payment of $5,000 (excluding GST).
Recipients must complete their grant-funded activity within 4 months of receiving their approval letter.
You must keep all application evidence, supplier quotes, corresponding invoices and bank transactions for audit purposes.
Recipients will be surveyed within 6 months after completion of the grant program.
Refer to the application guidelines (updated 13 May 2022) for a comprehensive overview of each stage of the application process.
How to apply
The grant is now closed. Applications are no longer being accepted.
For more information about the program, read the key documents and information:
Round 1 information
Round 2 information
You can also subscribe to the Small Business Connect newsletter to keep up to date with the latest information for Queensland small businesses.
Learn about avoiding unfair business practices.
For further information about the program, email firstname.lastname@example.org or contact the Small Business Hotline on 1300 654 687.
Check your eligibility
To be eligible for this grant, your business must meet the eligibility criteria and other conditions of the program.
- Last reviewed: 17 May 2022
- Last updated: 17 May 2022