Electrical safety laws
Find upcoming events for the work health and safety community.
Electrical safety laws in Queensland aim to prevent injuries and death from the hazardous nature of electricity. The laws also aim to prevent property from being destroyed or damaged by electricity.
The electrical safety laws create a framework that:
- imposes duties on those who may affect the electrical safety of others
- establishes standards for industry and the public through regulations and codes of practice
- establishes safety management systems for electricity entities including power authorities and Queensland Rail
- provides a system of licensing for electrical workers and contractors
- provides penalties for breaches of the Electrical Safety Act 2002 (Qld)
- provides consumer protection against electrical work not being properly performed or completed
- establishes a consultative structure for industry, workers and the community to participate in improving electrical safety.
This guide will give an overview of the laws and regulations that cover electrical work in Queensland and your obligations as a business working with electricity.